DVD writer

jameski 23:48 01 Jan 05

Hi,

I've replaced my old CD writer with a DVD RW. This drive is set to master and is on the same cable as an existing DVD ROM. When inserting either a CD or DVD, the DVD RW will spin but not recognise the disc. Starting in safe mode will allow the DVD RW to recognise a disc and run it. I've deleted INCD and Nero used for the old CD writer. I'm running XP Home edition with SP2. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jamadaal

Strawballs 23:54 01 Jan 05

I'm afraid I can't help but I will be whatching with interest as a friend has been asking me about the same thing and I have been stumped.

ensonricky 01:00 02 Jan 05

A couple of questions for you.

1) Is your new drive recignised in conjunction with a drive letter when looking at 'My Computer' from the start menu.

2) Are pre-recorded media recognised and playable.

3) Is your problem restricted to blank media(CD's and DVD's).

User-312386 01:06 02 Jan 05

set both drives to CS(Cable Select) and report back

jameski 01:06 02 Jan 05

ensonricky

The DVD RW is D (master) and the DVD rom is E (slave)both drives are on the same cable.

I've only tried with pre-recorded media with neither CDs or DVDs being recognised.

Jamadaal

ensonricky 01:30 02 Jan 05

It may be worthwhile trying another IDE cable, I take it as read that you have double checked the seating of your existing connections. Also try using your new drive as the only additional drive.
Right click on your new drive and look at properties and report if any indication that the drive is not working properly is shown.
Bear in mind that if everything else fails the drive could be faulty.

jameski 01:41 02 Jan 05

Hi,

Tried CS, computer reported new device on the toolbar but 'My Computer' only showed the DVD rom and the computer froze soon after. I've now got the DVD RW as the slave and the DVD rom as the master. Both drives are recognised but clicking on the DVD RW advise that the drive is not accessible due to an I/O device error - nothing odd showing on the device manager. The drive has been tested and does work on a different machine. The DVD rom is also working fine. Any ideas?

User-312386 06:07 02 Jan 05

Full system specs please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…