DVD write speed halved

doo-wop 15:40 20 Nov 04

Windows XP Home with SP2 embedded.
My multi-drive writer(LG GSA-4082B)has been writing perfect 8x dvd's for ages, but now only 4x after one particular back-up dvd copy being made. Nero has confirmed 4x only available. I have:
Tried System Restore (but it refuses to restore to an earlier date)
Used Last Good Configeration
Followed Microsoft advice to "restore typical DMA transfer mode"
Reinstalled the writer
Ensured up to date driver.
The problem arose after a difficult copying session with DVD Decrypter, when a box popped up to o.k. burning at a slower speed. In my ignorance, I agreed. I seem to recall the term "CSS" being included.
As you may gather, I am a novice!
Any help would be appreciated.

stalion 16:58 20 Nov 04

try in dvd decrypter resetting to defaults settings

mattyc_92 17:10 20 Nov 04

Have you changed DVD-R brands??

doo-wop 19:24 20 Nov 04

Changing DVD Decrypter makes no difference and I have not changed DVD brands.

mattyc_92 22:34 20 Nov 04

Some makes of DVD-Rs have different write speeds e.g Imation has something like 8x, where-as another make may have a higher/lower speed

doo-wop 10:50 21 Nov 04

I am using the same 8x discs I have always used, without any problem whatsoever before.

ton 13:07 21 Nov 04

Have you tried more than one new DVD?

Maybe an odd wrong speed one?

doo-wop 19:14 21 Nov 04

I've tried a number of new DVD discs. The problem is registry related, I'm pretty sure, but I don't want to go tinkering there without expert guidance!

stalion 19:18 21 Nov 04

try a registry clean up
click here

doo-wop 18:55 22 Nov 04

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I've solved the problem and it was the discs after all. Perhaps a warning to others:
I've been happily using "Bulkpaq 8x" from click here. Good value and no problems. However, it is a recent supply of seemingly identical discs which have caused the problem. On investigation via Nero tools, I found that the good discs were "Fujifilm 03" made, whereas the recent slower burners are "Prodisc F01". I've e-mailed the suppliers and am waiting their response.

doo-wop 23:37 25 Nov 04

Yep, the fault was with the Bulkpaq discs incorrectly labelled "8x", when they were 4x. The suppliers exchanged them by return, without any problem, and provided a Freepost address to send the duff discs back to. Excellent service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…