DVD write speed

chriscross72 09:18 01 Feb 04

I have an OPTOWRITE dvd writer which states write speeds of 4x for both dvd+ and dvd- formats, however when I wrote a 4.3 gb file to each of these formats the + format completed in under 14 minutes whilst the - format took over 55 minutes for the same size file, is there anything I can do to speed up the - format write time ?
I have windows 98se, an Athlon xp 1700 processor, 512mb ram,loads of hard drive space and not too many programmes running in the background. I have also tried different makes of disc.
Thank you for any help : )

bananaslik 10:01 01 Feb 04

hi +discs write quicker than -,but not that quick.it could b the discs,they may not b 4x.also your writer may not b compatable with the discs so it sounds like the writer is defaulting to 2x or even 1x.try using a different - disc, the best r made with ritek go4 dye.

Mike ® 11:01 01 Feb 04

I recently bought some 4x dvd-r's which would only write at 1x speed, the solution was to update the drives firmware.

Quite often an update can be found on the drive manufactures website, how ever there is allways a risk of making the drive unusable if this process fails.

Mike ® 11:10 01 Feb 04

click here use at your own risk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…