DVD will not recognise there is a disk in drive

tjj1 15:13 19 Jan 03
  tjj1 15:13 19 Jan 03

Help please! I've checked the drivers and XP reports there are no problems with the drive. I've checked the cables and now am stumpted. The only thing I can think of is that the drive is 12 months old and hasn't been cleaned. Is this the likely problem?

Lozzy 15:18 19 Jan 03

Unlikely,, Have you tried another or just a another CD to ensure it is working?? It could be the DVD you tried was not area 2 coded.. Try an ordinary CD not a DVD and make sure the rom is working then report back

DieSse 15:38 19 Jan 03

The " XP reports there are no problems with the drive" is not a test of the drive. Just that it's ther, and was installed correctly.

Most likely it's failed. They can fail just for DVDs and not CDs.

tjj1 11:48 20 Jan 03

Thanks for your suggestions. It is an ordinary CD. I've tried a game and an audio CD to no avail.

redelf 19:46 20 Jan 03

Do you get an error message on screen saying thee is no disk in the drive, or is it juts that nothing happens? Check that the drive is set to auto-run.

tjj1 20:02 22 Jan 03

Sorry not to get back to you for a while. I get the dialogue box which tells me there is no disk in the drive and asks me to put one in.

DieSse 20:32 22 Jan 03

Change the drive.

tjj1 21:30 22 Jan 03

Cheers for that. I am afraid I agree that it must have died.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…