dvd video skips a little

Jamesy 20:43 22 Aug 03

Playing movies on either of the two DVD roms on my computer I often notice the video skip a little. It's only for a split second but it's definitely noticeable. It's mostly at the beginning of new chapters on the disc, but it's not limited to that. One thing that I notice using task manager is that when the skips occur my CPU usage spikes suddenly. Not to over 100% or anything, but it does rise.

My system is Athlon 2000 based with 1GB RAM and a GF4 Ti4600, so it should be more than capable of playing dvds without interruption. Any ideas?

btw, it happens no matter what software player I use to play a movie, or whether I have hardware acceleration on or off. And UDMA mode is selected for the dvd drives.

sil_ver 20:52 22 Aug 03

I suppose it's possible that progs running in the background are causing it. Try rebooting then shutting everything down before you run the movie.

nick_j007 22:25 22 Aug 03

Look for updated drivers for the player itself maybe?

Magik ®© 22:44 22 Aug 03

i think you will find it is duel layer recording, check the label, if it is then that is why, they all do it..

nick_j007 22:51 22 Aug 03

Yes, if it happens say once per film it will almost certainly be what Magik suggests. They laythe two halves of the film on top of each other (dual layering). The small skip is often done during a dark transition screen for example, but some are not so nice to watch.
Not all DVD's are layered I believe and it may even be quite rare now.

Nick

Magik ®© 22:57 22 Aug 03

well done, i could not find the words to use.

what a team :-))

Jamesy 00:02 23 Aug 03

No unfortunately it is not once per film it is several times, often near the beginning of each chapters. And bearing in mind there's like 20 chapters in films it's quite often :(

nick_j007 00:04 23 Aug 03

Ok, not a pro. here but is your driver up to date?
I updated mine shortly after taking delivery of the unit and it was much better/solved, though mine was a juddery play back and not as you are experiencing.

Nick

The Sack 00:30 23 Aug 03

All DVDs are dual layer, even DVD+/-R discs are dual layers even though it is only possible to use burn to one layer.

I reckon 98% of all DVD movies still use both layers of the disc as at the normal bitrates used you can only fit 2 hours per layer, although lowering the bitrate can enable you to squeeze 4 hours per layer, the quality drop is very noticable though. Around 5 hours for both layers keeps the qulity good. If you put a movie in your PC and look at its properties and it reads more than 4.7GB then its using both layers of the disc.

The problem is probably caused by a virus scanner scanning the files as they are being read from the disc, it could possibly even be the windows prefetch sorting its self out. The best thing to do would be to shut everything down you can, AV scanners, firewall, packet writing software, anything then play a disc and see if it still does it. Defragging can also help as the files are cached to the hard drive from the DVD before playback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…