DVD Video Recorders...

sorefingers 15:42 12 Oct 03

..can anyone provide me with advice regarding the use of home video recorders with HDDs...such as the Panasonic DMR-HS2.
I would like to copy all my analogue and digital camcorder recordings to DVD.
Any help would be appreciated.

SEASHANTY 16:35 12 Oct 03

You should be able to do this on the Panasonic DMR-E60 which has 4 inputs. Page 35 of the manual states "You can record audio and video being played on DV equipment connected to the DV input terminal. Haven't a digital camcorder so haven't used the DV input but have no difficulty recording from VCR, Freeview box, or ordinary TV. This DVD recorder and Multi-region player (modified) has four recording speeds plus a flexible recording speed which adjusts to the time input you select. Its £349 (including multiregion mod and free varriage by Omega Express from click here
I am quite impressed with LP results which gives 4 hours on a 4.7GB DVD-R (Verbatim x2).

SEASHANTY 16:38 12 Oct 03

Forgot to say this DMR-E60 Model does not include a hard disk drive. Its DVD-RAM and DVD-R only with the DVD-R discs you can finalise for play on domestic DVD players. DVD-RAM is supposedly good for 100,000 recordings on each disc. Should I live that long!

SEASHANTY 13:27 13 Oct 03

Thanks for the e-mail. Yes I admit the firewire connection on the Panasonic DMR-HS2 would be an advantage but then it should be considering the price of the HS2. I did consider this before deciding on the E60 which for its price and features is an admiral buy. It does all I want it to and the flexible recording speed is particularly useful. Delivery from Techtronics took approx five days. They are based in Lincolnshire and they sent me an e-mail on despatch giving carrier and consignment number but you can do daily tracking of your order on their website. Doing the mod to make it multiregion play takes adds a day to the delivery.
Omega Express delivered it at 7.30 p.m. although they did not specify an evening delivery. Good service though. I will use them again if need be.
Pioneer also have a HDD DVD-R recorder launching next month. Forget the model number tho. Regards.

Chegs ® 13:33 13 Oct 03

I bought a £30 TV card,the software has a DigiRecorder,with 2x120Gb hdd's+ a second IDE hdd of 15Gb I am likely to depart this mortal coil before I ever manage to fill them up.I also have a DVD-RW and a good collection of blank media,so can "backup" the video onto DVD. :-)

siouxah1 13:46 13 Oct 03

Just in passing,

have used Pana DMR E60 and the DVin (Firewire). Works ok.

However, if you decide on this machine try to ensure that it will recognise your Videocam.

The one I used would not recognise the Pana NVDS 11B, but would the NVDS29 and the NVDS65B.

I wonder if the DMR HS2 might be similar.

The DMR E60 is a grand piece of kit.

Regards Brian j

SEASHANTY 16:33 13 Oct 03

Didn't realise that this 4 pin DV input was a firewire port. Have no DV equip apart from "Freeview" boxes and haven't really much use for a camera. As you say tho it sure is a work of wonders.
The DVD-RAM appears to do everything a HDD do within
its 4.7GB limit. Shame tho that the double sided 9.4GB discs have to be turned over manually.

siouxah1 19:09 13 Oct 03

must say it does everything I require. Interestingly have just replaced a duff DVD ROM in my computer with Pana DVD ROM 16 x 48 that will read the RAM discs written by the DMR E60.

Yes pity about the RAM limit, but the variable bit rate solves the problem and still a good standard of picture.

Use an LG DVD writer in computer and both that and E60 use the cheaper DVD-R media.

Sorry sorefingers, seemed to have hijacked your thread. Hope the info is of some use though.

Regards Brian j

sorefingers 17:39 15 Oct 03

I took the plunge and now have the Panasonic DMR E100....bigger harddrive, fast dubbing etc. I just need to find out which media will be suitable for it! Being a total newbie, would it be worth buying a mixed pack of blank DVDs or is there certain makes which are guaranteed to work?
No!I haven't won the Lotto, just decided to spend less on the next motor!

siouxah1 18:21 15 Oct 03

Might be worth getting a trial pack. You could start here
click here

Have not used them so cannot comment.

Brian j

siouxah1 18:29 15 Oct 03

Forgot to say "congratulations".

I just love a new toy. I hope you enjoy using it.

Brian j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…