DVD Video clip plays on comp but not tv

J. I. 10:44 15 Aug 09

I have been sent a dvd video clip with file ext .avi by a friend. It plays well on the computer, when i place it in my dvd recorder to play on the tv it fails to play, my friend has the same problem when he tries using his equiptment. My comp is xp home and tv is a sony. The make of tv is not the problem, can anyone explain if theres any thing i can do to overcome the problem.
Many thanks Joni

DieSse 11:04 15 Aug 09

A file extension of .aci is not a regular DVD - it's just a computer video file copied to a DVD.

If you want to play it in your regular DVD player you'll have to convert it to a format your DVD player can handle.

Safest format is either a true DVD of a VCD (on the assumption that most DVD players do play VCDs (Video CDs). SVCD is also a possibility - better quality.

There are loads of video file converters - just hunt around with Google for one.

DieSse 11:05 15 Aug 09

Sorry about mistype - avi, not aci of course.

Stuartli 11:12 15 Aug 09

If you have SmartStart (Nero) you can convert as you require - go to DVD (top drop down menu) and explore the options (there are two levels on the one panel page).

J. I. 10:09 16 Aug 09

Thank you DieSse and Stuartli for your suggestions i will persue your options in order i will eventually be able to convert the file to play on tv
Regards Joni

ened 11:15 16 Aug 09

I have converted loads of.avi files to play on the television using click here

But there is one film that just will not play. It plays on the computer (More than one) but in the DVD player (again more than one) attached to the TV it shows as 'No Disc'.

I know it's not my thread but if anybody could suggest a reason I would be grateful.

Stuartli 11:28 16 Aug 09

This may help:

click here

Have you tried converting the particular non-playable disk's files to MPEG-2 and then burning to a new disk?

J. I. 18:01 17 Aug 09

ened and Stuartli. Replied to your suggestions but thread didn't register. In short will try what you recommend and see how i go. Will be my first attempt with file conversion so hope everything goes well for me.
Thanks Joni

J. I. 11:18 19 Aug 09

Tried the method recommended by ened and although the printed guide was diff from latest version 1.3.0.0 on screen i was able to work my way through it and the conversion was satisfactory. Now the DVD plays on tv.
jONI

DieSse 12:19 19 Aug 09

Thanks for the heads-up for dvdflick.

Tried it and it worked a treat - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac