DVD video camera recording format?

stlucia 11:28 16 Jun 06

I have a Panasonic digital video camera which uses DV tapes. When I download footage to my PC it gives me massive, but high quality, .avi files which I edit and then convert to MPEG2 to burn to DVD.

Nowadays I see many cameras advertised which use a DVD in the camera, instead of a tape, which they say allows you to playback immediately in your video player. Does this mean that the recording is done in MPEG format so as to fit 1 hour on a DVD (the same capacity as a DV tape)? If so, does that mean that some quality is lost by the compression, and will be further lost if it's then edited on a PC?

In addition to that, is DVD recording as jog-proof as DV tape recording? Any real-life experience of this, please?

woodchip 11:37 16 Jun 06

It's done I think in Vob. Can be a problem changing this to edit them. the DVD's are done this way so you can just stick them in any DVD player

johndrew 11:45 16 Jun 06

Yes you can play the DVD straight from the camera, but you will be very lucky if you get 30 minutes record/play on a disc.

As for being `jog-proof` there is little difference in any camera if you drop it, for normal use much the same.

My preference is for one of the new, more expensive, HDD cameras. With very good definition you still get 7 hours recording and it is just as easy to transfer to PC. I don`t know about you, but there are always some bits that need editing out so transfer is always necessary and the extra time taken is not excessive when you consider changing discs if you use a DVD camera. Oh yes, and DVDs for the camera are not cheap.

stlucia 16:34 16 Jun 06

Thanks woodchip and johndrew:

There's always a lot needs editing; that's the main advantage of digital over Super 8 film, isn't it? I just record everything and then transfer only the best bits to DVD ;-)

HDD sounds good. But, unless the HDD is removable, I would be worried about someone stealing my camera near the end of a holiday, and me then losing all the video I've just taken. At least with DV tapes I can pack them elsewhere during travel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…