DVD on TV set is saying "video codec not supported"

laptopdunce 19:05 12 Jan 15
Answered

I have made a dvd from a file on my computer and it plays fine on the computer (only about 500mb) but when I use it on the TV set it recognizes the file on the DVD but when I press play it says "video codec not supported" - how can I make a DVD that will play on the TV set? the file was showing as a .flv file, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 12 Jan 15

You will need to convert the .flv to vob files

Freemake Video Convertor is an excellant program for coverting video files unfortunately it comes packaged with a lot of "crapware".

If you decide to download it make sure you choose custom install and untick everything that comes packaged with it.

laptopdunce 21:09 12 Jan 15

OOOh, I hope that doesnt set my laptop going crazy again!! will I be able to bring the vid files to this programme and it will convert them to this Vob format? I have a series of DVD;s currently that play fine on the laptop but not on the TV set (which is a shame) hence I want to convert the files (which are still on the laptop) into the format where I can make a DVD and play that on the combo DVD/TV set, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE (Finally got that Buffalo drive working, it does delete from the drive now and the properties amount does match what is actually on the drive now, thnaks)

laptopdunce 21:17 12 Jan 15

Hi, OK, I have download it from that link you sent, I kept ticking "custom install" and then it kept asking for different add-ons and I unticked the box about 4 times for various things and re-ticking for the custom install only, I have big yellow V icon on my taskbar now, so what should I do with the vid. files I have with .flv and windows player files (will it convert these too to play on a TV set?) thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 21:27 12 Jan 15

something funny here, I have added a vid file to the start box and at at the top there is a tab that says "convert" when I pull that down it says all these formats, (but no .pov format) WMV, APPLE, TO DVD, TO MPEG, TO MP4, TO MP3, TO 3PG, TO MKV, TO FLV, TO SONY, TO XBOX, AND THEN TO ALL THESE OTHER GOOGLE, ANDROIR AND SMART PHONE FORMATS

Would you use DVD as the format?? as the vid I have sent to this convertor is actually showing as an mpeg4, 352x264, 4:3, 790kps, 25 fps

Thanks, latptopdunce (dont want to waste a load of DVD blanks and find they dont play on the TV set) thanks

laptopdunce 23:35 12 Jan 15

It seems to be working!!! I used the "DVD" as the convert to option and it took a long time to convert the file and then burn it to a DVD- disk, but it DOES play on the TV set!! Thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 14:53 13 Jan 15

Thanks for that great tip for this Freemake vid. convertor programme!! it even joins vids to make a complete DVD for playing on a TV set!! thannks!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 13 Jan 15
Answer

Yes its good for a free program.

you can also cut sections out (like adverts)

I record off TV on PVR, copy to PC, trim and convert which can save half the file size.

laptopdunce 04:47 14 Jan 15

Oh, I cant record from TV yet, I have analog TV only and some of it is very poor quality, besides dont watch TV much, but thats handy to know, will be busy converting my vids to make DVDs which play on the TV set from now on...... thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 14 Jan 15

I have analog TV ??? your not in UK then?

laptopdunce 21:10 14 Jan 15

Iam at the moment but I have fmaily in The Netherlands and there 99% of houses have kabel TV but ours has been disconnected (too expensive) and we have only the analogue signaal, its fine for kabel radio but some of the TV stations are TERRIBLE! but we do get 34 "standard" channels, Incidentally I have just installed the Freemake Video convertor to a laptop in the UK but the "join" tab wont work - have I downloaded the right version? its a windows 8.1 laptop, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…