DVD tray jammed in "out" position

bnorth 11:33 30 Jan 08

does anyone have any hints or tips on dealing with jammed out DVD trays ?

My new Eclipse Elite computer that has the red tint problem (thread "changing chipset under BIOS to fix red tint") now has its DVD tray jammed in the out position.

It seems with this computer you have to push the tray to get it to shut - and it doesn't - the eject "button" is part of the flap closing the tray - its not a separate button that also closes the tray.

I'd like to get this fixed, hopefully without opening the case and invalidating the warranty in case I decide to send the PC back to Eclipse to get the wonky graphics card fixed !!
The card seems to have been wonky on delivery but I need to repack the PC to send to Eclipse at my own expense unfortunately

Technotiger 12:19 30 Jan 08

Hi, I would not attempt to fix it - New?? so take it back and demand a replacement!

bnorth 12:34 30 Jan 08

thanks for the advice, technotiger.
you're probably right.

unfortunately taking it back means Coventry for Eclipse Computers ... which isn't that near !
and the DVD tray wasn't jammed when it arrived - that happened yesterday.
However there was a problem with the graphics card when it arrived (I'm now using the onboard graphcs).
So its complicated but basically Eclipse say re fixing (card or DVD presumably):
"you would need to return the system back to us at your own expense, to which, providing the warranty seals have not been tampered with .. "

and it'll be hard to package with its DVD stuck out ... so you're right but I'm still hmmm !

I wonder what the premier30 warrant with the PC meant - doesn't sound that premier to me !

AlanHo 12:52 30 Jan 08

I don't understand why you should have to pay to return faulty goods.

I would check this out with your local Tradings Standards Office to get their advice.

Gongoozler 12:52 30 Jan 08

Hi bnorth. I have in the past repaired a jammed CD drive, so it is possible. I think your choices are either to return the PC to Eclipse for repair or to buy a new drive - they cost about £15 to £20 plus postage, a total of about £20 to £25. This second option would probably invalidate the PC warranty.

ened 13:02 30 Jan 08

I might be corrected but I don't think the onus is on you to pay the carriage.

I have a friend who had a small problem with an Eclipse machine.

He waited in on three occasions for them to pick it up but the courier never turned up.

In the end he bit the bullet and sorted out the problem himself.

Maybe it is a good idea for you to send it yourself because at least you know they will get it.

bjh 13:10 30 Jan 08

I second (or third) the view that it is their responsibility to pay for return of goods, if they are faulty. They might be able to ask you to pay, and refund you if the goods are faulty/not refund if they are perfect and it's your mistake.

I, too, suggest a call to Trading Standards/Consumer Direct. They will be informative and "a stitch in time saves nine" - know how you stand will help you know how to procede.

bjh 13:10 30 Jan 08

I second (or third) the view that it is their responsibility to pay for return of goods, if they are faulty. They might be able to ask you to pay, and refund you if the goods are faulty/not refund if they are perfect and it's your mistake.

I, too, suggest a call to Trading Standards/Consumer Direct. They will be informative and "a stitch in time saves nine" - know how you stand will help you know how to procede.

citadel 13:11 30 Jan 08

have you tried troubleshoot for the dvd drive, my computer, right click dvd drive, properties, hardware, pick drive for troubleshoot.

bjh 13:13 30 Jan 08

Ohhh - my first "double post" ;-)

bnorth 13:20 30 Jan 08

many thanks for all your advice.
I think I will contact trading standards as I don't think its true I should pay to send the PC adn its interesting to hear another eclipse customer got them to send a courier.

bottom line is though it'd be hard to pack and parcel with its DVD tray stuck out but maybe with a courier I wouldn't need to parcel it up.

the troubleshoot sounds a really good first step - this is the same under VISTA I assume - have to wait till after work to try this !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…