DVD Software Decoder

Big Ben 09:31 20 Aug 03

I have a DVD drive in my laptop and would like a free software decoder on it to allow me to watch films. Any suggestions?

sil_ver 09:51 20 Aug 03

Have a look at this lot click here

Big Ben 10:18 20 Aug 03

I should rephrase that, I can go on google and look, but I wan't to know a recommended one?

The Sack 10:49 20 Aug 03

There isnt a good free DVD player as the MPEG 2 codec is not free.

Big Ben 10:54 20 Aug 03

trip to kazzaa me thinks

Big Ben 12:01 20 Aug 03

why should i have to pay for something i've ready paid to watch?

crx1600 12:14 20 Aug 03

you'd have to buy a DVD player if you didn't have a PC? or would you steal one from 'dixons'.

you're DVD-ROM needs a decoder, how you get it is up to you,

click here is often mentioned as a freebie, but i haven't tried it.

crx1600 12:25 20 Aug 03

looking at that 'maximus' link, it doesn't include the decoder, its just another 'player', sorry about that.

March Hare 13:03 20 Aug 03

Normally, if you buy a computer with a DVD-ROM included, it comes with a DVD decoder pre-installed, or at least with a decoder on a CD so you can install it yourself. If it's a fairly new computer, I would go back to where you bought it from and ask for a decoder.

I had to do exactly that last week. My new PC wouldn't play DVDs - error message said there was no decoder installed. I went back to the (local) shop who built it for me, and they had missed installing the DVD decoder. They gave me a CD - all OK now.

Big Ben 15:33 20 Aug 03

For point of reference - i have over 60 dvd films which i have paid to watch - and normailly i watch them on my dvd player in the lounge. My point was why should i have to pay for basic software to view them. I'm sure a decoder isn't brain surgery so it's not me being difficult. The laptop was given to me and I've basically fixed the errors it had with it apart from being able to view DVD's - which i have got round by using a shareware DVDDirect program which only last for 30 days. But after the time period i'm not sure what will happen, but we'll wait and see. I can't be the only one with this problem and there normally is a way of sorting out problems like this.

Thanks lads?

Ben Avery 15:38 20 Aug 03

"trip to kazzaa me thinks"

Think that by putting things like this on here you are likely to lose any help that would have been given freely before.

Bear in mind that as soon as you upset people by mentioning the "K" word, you will lose any chance of help.

Worth noting for the future eh?

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…