DVD RWs'

dlguk 17:52 10 Feb 05

I have gad to buy a couple of the above, dont ask
why please. Anyway I tried to use it in the same waay as a CD-RW on Win98. It copied the first folder but when I tried to copy (send to) another folder it tells me the disc is not available or full. I have tried Nero express also. what's happening :-(
Can a DVD RW be used like a CD RW? if not what is the best way to use it?

Ty in advance

Totally-braindead 17:57 10 Feb 05

It sounds like you've finalised the disk rather than creating a multisession disk which you can keep adding to until its full.

FelixTCat 18:03 10 Feb 05

Yes, a DVD-RW can be used like a CD-RW. You have to decide how you are going to use it. If you want to use it as a big floppy disk, you have to use a packet writing program, like InCD. You can then copy files to and from the disk like any other drive. This is what I suspect you want.

The other way is to wait until you have a lot of data to write and write it all at once, either in a single session (where nothing else can be written to the disk) or multisession (where you can add more later).

dlguk 19:55 10 Feb 05

used to be that packet writing was included in burning s/ware

stuc100 21:44 10 Feb 05

I think you'll find that 98 & ME will only support one session on a multisession DVD-R. Even if you create more on another system it will only see the first session. Don't ask why, I don't know (just read it somewhere)

FelixTCat 22:32 10 Feb 05

InCD is part of Nero. but you have to download and install it.

stuc100 - thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

dlguk 12:53 11 Feb 05

FelixTCat, I have searched the net, the obvious 1st step being the Nero home page for inCD 4. I just don't seem to be able to find a d/load. I notice from my other PC that Roxio (easy cd creator 6 I think) doesn't have packet writing either. Whats the world coming to:-)
Any further info would be much appreciated,

Cheers

crx1600 12:55 11 Feb 05

update package-3 click here

FelixTCat 14:00 11 Feb 05

dlguk,

I am not particularly enamoured of packet writing. Too much has gone wrong with it in the past and too much data lost. I would strongly recommend that you have an alternative backup process for the files. You can use DVD-R (or DVD+R) for permanent backup or another DVD RW using disk-at-once (ie plonking it all on the disk in one go).

dlguk 16:18 11 Feb 05

How on earth could I have missed that? Ty crx1600. FelixTCat, yes I know what you mean I have had similar experiences with CDs. It has been so long that I had forgotten the horror of it, I may just gather it all up and burn it onto a couple of DVDs. Waste of discs but better that than losing it all, have to format this thing.
Thank you

FelixTCat 17:18 11 Feb 05

Not really a waste. Use, say, three RW disks to back up. After you have used the third one, erase and reuse the first.

Alternately, use dvd-r - they are now only a few pence each.

Its only a waste until something goes pear-shaped and the only source of your files is your back-up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…