DVD RW upgrade nightmare

Geraint J 19:31 24 Nov 03

I have bought a BTC DVD+/- R/RW CD-R/RW Writer to replace my CD writer. I have a DVD rom as a master drive and the CD writer was the slave. I removed the CD writer and made sure the settings on the new drive were the same, when I boot up and the PC conducts its memory tests it says SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL No 80 CONDUCTOR CABLE INSTALLED which I havent seen before.The drive will open and close but will not read or write to any media, also the pc will not shut down it just keeps re-starting when I try to shut it off. And when the drive is trying to read it causes whatever program im using (My Computer, Nero etc) to freeze. I had no problems before. Im using XP Pro, KT400 GA-7VA m/board, AMD XP2600, 1024gb ram, 120gb h/d. HELP PLEASE before im forced to use the sledge hammer for a bit of fine tweaking

jimv7 19:37 24 Nov 03

Change the drive to master, uninstall your old version of nero and install the version that came with the drive.

Geraint J 17:19 25 Nov 03

Thanks, I will try it.

Geraint J 20:12 26 Nov 03

No luck, Windows refused to start. An error message appeared and the pc just kept re-starting. Im starting to think the drive might be faulty as i've replaced the CD-RW and everything is fine. Would my DVD ROM be upseting the DVD RW or wouldnt it make any diference ?

She 22:13 26 Nov 03

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 with DVD drive and I also want to upgrade it to a DVD writer. I am confused by the terms DVD-(minus) and DVD+ (plus)
which so many of the joint R and RW drives have, as in Geraint's first message. Can anyone explain the difference please?

Mr_Nice_Guy 22:23 26 Nov 03

hello, i have installed a dvd rw and a dvd rom together on the secondary ide controller. the dvd rom as a slave and the dvd rw as the master. Gerainst double check your dvd rwis actualyet on slave, as i didnt at first, they were both set on master and my pc wouldnt recognise any of them. The jumpers are CA on the left or C something which isnt important. The middle one is the slave and the right one is master. Just an idea. also check the cable is in properly and that the cable isnt the wrong way round.

Geraint J 21:05 28 Nov 03

Thanks MR_NICE_GUY I double checked everything and it seems ok. Just to check i've re-installed the original CD-RW but now the PC only displays it as a CD-ROM. I've since re-installed XP and now everything seems fine (for the moment)I think I will take the DVD-rw to my local repair shop in the morning and see if he can make any sense of it

Rogerfredo 10:53 29 Nov 03

She
Buy a combined DVD-R and DVD+R drive.
You then are safe whichever you need in the future.
At present, DVD-R is compatible with most domestic DVD players, so if you want to play your DVDs on TV, this may be the media to use.
DVD-R media is also cheaper.
You can get a writer for about £80 (I just purchased one from Dabs).

Jakey boy 11:30 29 Nov 03

80 conductor cable requires that jumpers on all devices need only be set to cable select (CS). Try changing to CS.

Geraint J 15:39 30 Nov 03

I exchanged the DVD-RW for a new one and it installed fine, so it looks like the drive was faulty. Thanks for everyones help it was most usefull.

blackvoodoo 22:00 03 Dec 03

every time i try to copy any originl dvds copyright will not let me copy on the other hand copyed dvds are know problem help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…