DVD RW Standard size ?

rawprawn 12:39 13 Dec 04

I have a Dell Dimeansion 4300, and I want to buy a new DVD RW. I have my eye on a Pioneer Black DVR-108 which has measurements of 148mm Wide, 42.3mm High, and 198mm Deep. are these standard to fit all computer sizes, or should I know more? It will be the first time I have added hardware like this so I am in need of advice. Thanks.

Completealias 12:46 13 Dec 04

On towers you normally have two standard drive bay sizes one is 5.25" and has cd-rom devices in and the other 3.5" which holds your floppy drives / hard drives

ventanas 12:47 13 Dec 04

Nevr bothered to check in the past, everything I've bought has fitted, so would think all are standard.

Very easy to fit, just make sure you set the jumper correctly, and that you get screws with it.

stlucia 12:48 13 Dec 04

It's designed as an internal drive, so it will fit in a standard bay in your PC case -- assuming you have a bay spare. Power supply and data cable plugs will all be standard as well.

ventanas 12:52 13 Dec 04

Just remembered the 4600 on my desk only requires one screw. Yours may be the same. It has some sort of self-aligning set up when you slot a drive in. It was the simplest drive I've ever fitted, only problem is that its beige, the rest of the PC is black. Please can I have yours when you've bought it.:-))

bretsky 13:03 13 Dec 04

rawprawn, the measurements you have given us are perfect for your 4300 this is the same as my NEC just looked it up in the manual.

I had the same problem trying to find a black DVDR/RW in keeping with my Dell Dimension, now of course you can get removable face plates to suite.

Fitting it could not be easier, the drive is held in by green rail strips that screw to the body of the Writer/Player and just slot into position in the drive bay.

If your require more advice on fitting just post back and I will keep an eye out!

Good luck

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 13:14 13 Dec 04

I know this is going to sound kinky, but I always use a pair of surgical gloves when delving into my pc- my hands get clammy, also use an anti-static wrist strap-a must.

The Dell has a hinged opening system and to get to the inside of the pc you have to press the two buttons -top and bottom to release catches so the pc will open out (refer to your manual)

bretsky ;0)

rawprawn 13:25 13 Dec 04

I'm in your debt again, thanks for the reassurance. I know my way aroung inside a bit but I have never fitted another CD Drive before, just hard drives.

rawprawn 13:28 13 Dec 04

Hello to you, sorry if I buy this nice new BLACK drive it stays in my computer. Howeber as always I am willing to help and I will deliver a tin o black Hammerite to your office if you should so wish, lol. Thanks any way.

rawprawn 13:33 13 Dec 04

Thanks to all who replied, my mind is now at ease and I can sally forth with my plastic card in the full knowledge of not buying problems. Except from my wife, who seems to prefer to spend on dresses, but they don't suit me, so I will stick to computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…