DVD-RW screwed up after legitimate install?

Flopper 22:05 23 Nov 05

I have just installed a legitimate copy of the PC game Quake 4 which states on the packaging in small print that 'this game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives'.
I am convinced that since installing the game my DVD-RW will not function properly in that it will now only read original CDs and DVDs and if I try to burn anything using Nero 6 which has worked fine for ages the burn starts OK but stops at about 30% and locks up my PC completely which needs a total switch off.
I have tried to uninstall the DVD-RW, both uninstalling via Device Manager and physically removing and refitting, and aslo uninstalling and reinstalling Nero but so far I am no better off.
Has this happended to any of you and what are my options?

De Marcus™ 22:07 23 Nov 05

Did you also try uninstalling the ide channel (via device manager also) that the drive sits on and allowing windows to reinstall after a reboot?

woodchip 22:07 23 Nov 05

You could try a Restore to before you installed software

Totally-braindead 22:13 23 Nov 05

I do have a game that causes something similar, its need for speed underground 2 and it won't run if it detects certain programs, as you say to prevent copying. If that is the problem then have a look at the games website and support section or have a look at the readme file on the disk.

ACOLYTE 22:14 23 Nov 05

I doubt that this is due to the game copy protection,it may prevent you from copying that game but i dont think it would stop you burning cd/dvd's for one thing i dont think that sort of software would be legal,it would interfere with your pc enjoyment and prevent you from doing normal and legal tasks and that surly has to be an infringment of your right to use your pc as you see fit,if it is the copy protection of the game.I have had games that wouldnt run when a virtual drive was installed but it only applied to that game not anything else and i could still burn dvd/cd.

Flopper 22:17 23 Nov 05

Woodchip: I did a System Restore but it made no difference.
De Marcus: I have not tried the IDE channel but will do soonish.

De Marcus™ 22:18 23 Nov 05

One more thing...

If the drive is beginning a burn but not completing, it could be down to a damaged aspi layer, nero info tool should give you a report on this and whether it's working properly, however, don't rely fully on it, nero has known issues about reporting working aspi layers as faulty when infact they aren't, in rare instances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…