DvD-RW not working

Woodman2 17:29 07 Feb 09

I`m using an Advent notebook 7108 with XP.
I`ve just had a number of infections on it that PC Tools did not detect but fortunately Avira did and I now have a clean PC.
One of the side effects when it was infected was the complete loss of function of my DvD Rw. It began to read only, then ceased to do that and finally there was no motor response at all. The only operation left on it was the automatic eject.

I initially tried connecting an external writer but that failed after working a couple of times.
Although I now have a clean PC the problem with the internal and external Writer remains.
Any suggestions please?

gazzaho 21:17 07 Feb 09

I don't know if this will help or not but take a look click here

Woodman2 22:28 07 Feb 09

Thank you very much gazzaho. This article looks promising. I shall need some time to digest it and put it into practice. I will let you know how I get on !

Grey Goo 22:45 07 Feb 09

If you have a copy of I386 on your main drive then you could run sfc /scannow, you could try it anyway but if you needed to insert the Windows disk then without a functioning drive it is a non starter.

Woodman2 07:35 08 Feb 09

Thanks Grey Goo but as you say, scannow would not work without the CD.

I went through the first part of the Guided help program gazahoo but without success. I now have to decide whether to play about with the filters in the Advanced section or do a full reinstall.
I shall have to think about that !

rdave13 20:12 08 Feb 09

You could try this fix; click here

gazzaho 17:48 09 Feb 09

The advanced section might be your best bet, it involves editing the registry so create a system restore point before starting, that way you can restore if things go wrong.

You mention a full reinstall, is that with a physical Windows disk or factory reset via partition and/or disk/disks? If it's with a physical Windows disk you could perhaps try a Windows repair from the disk. If not I guess a factory reset would be the only option open to you, that is assuming the drive works on power up and is only broken in Windows. If it's a physical fault with the drive then you may not be able to reinstall Windows.

Woodman2 19:01 09 Feb 09

Thank you Gazzaho. Your words are timely. I didn`t think I could cope with all the registry changes so I went on line and employed a large national company repair service to do it for me.
It was done on the basis of pay first with money back if it was a hardware fault. I watched all the procedure as it took place by remote,just as you kind people had advised me to do but when it got to the Registry files it was decided it was a hardware fault and I had my money refunded.

Now what happens if I need to use my recovery disk in the future?
Could I copy the recovery disk to a flash drive and use it via USB?
Thanks for your help.

skidzy 22:28 09 Feb 09

Is your dvd drive shown in My Computer ?
Any error codes ?

If both of these apply,follow rdave13's post by running the Doug Knox fix.

Further to this ,see here click here

Woodman2 04:12 10 Feb 09

Yes the drive is shown in My Computer however when I attach my external DVD RW that does not show up
There are no error codes,

I had used the fix tool as suggested earlier so following your advice was easier and it now says the Upper and Lower filters have been removed.
Do they need to be re-installed?
Using the Help and Support questions I went through to the Device Manager as before and it says the device is working correctly! It isn`t working but thanks for your help everyone.

KremmenUK 12:30 12 Feb 09

Straight out of the box XP doesn't support DVD-RW as far as I know.

You'll need something like Nero or Roxio's packet writing software to be able to drag & drop, if that's what you are trying to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac