DVD+/-RW not recognising CD'S problem

ray27 09:40 05 Mar 05

OS System Windows XP Home

I had to replace my DVD ROM due to the fact that a disk exploded thus rendering it useless.
I replaced it with a Freecom internal DVD+/-RW Double layer
This seems to work regarding most functions like playing back DVD and CD’s but when you attempt to copy files from your documents folder onto a CD using the copy files to CD option it states “cannot create or replace file Access is denied.”
I haven’t tried this with a DVD RW yet I have only used CD’s

You can copy disk to disk using Nero 6.
When you right click and use the explore function on this drive to check the CD it wont let you it says: Drive is not accessible: I also have an internal CD RW and if you pop the same disk into the CD RW it will let you explore
It will let you explore a DVD but not CD.

I was assured that the device would work with CD Rom’s but this doesn’t seem the case
Is this a fault or is this common with the new DVD ROMS
Any advice would be most welcome

Diodorus Siculus 09:52 05 Mar 05

1 - do you need to use CD-RWs?

2 - are they formatted?

ray27 10:02 05 Mar 05

Yes they are all formated and work fine in the CD RW
It works fine when you use Nero for copying
Its just that it will not let me copy files onto a CD from the PC

ray27 10:48 05 Mar 05

I have just tried to back up my documents to the new DVD Drive using the DVD R that came with it and it states the same thing.

When I backed up my Family History files using My family Tree Maker it worked fine it appears that it is only when you try and back up using the windows feature that.

I tried drag and drop but still had the same effect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:10 05 Mar 05

My computer - right click DVD drive - select properties - recording tab - ensure "Enable CD recording on this drive" is ticked.

ray27 11:38 05 Mar 05

cheers mate thats what the problem was it works fine now
thanks a million
Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…