DVD-RW install

Desperate-Dan 10:08 20 Sep 05

I have just installed a dvd-rw, I took a cd-rw out installed the new drive with the jumper setting the the same as the old one (cable select)I turned the computer on I got a black screen with this on, secondary drive 0 not found, secondary drive 1 not found, to strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility.
I thought by setting the jumper on the new drive the same as the old drive I wouldn't have to go in to bios I have a dell dimension 2400 winxp can someone please help

Stuartli 11:23 20 Sep 05

Try first checking the leads and cables for firm and correct connections and then reset the jumper to Master.

Reboot and, hopefully, Windows should Find New Hardware and install the basic CDROM driver which is all that is required for CD/DVD drives.

Desperate-Dan 17:27 21 Sep 05

Hi Stuartli,I put the jumper on dvd-rw to master dvd-rom to slave, still no joy, so I put back the way is was when everything was working ok now I can't see those two drives I've been on to dell wast of time, got on to NEC still no joy I might try changing the IDL cable, how do you set the bios to Auto it's a dell dimension 2400 I have winxp

Set the jumper on the DVDRW to Master, connect to original cable.

Make sure you plug in the power cable correctly.

dan11 17:56 21 Sep 05

" how do you set the bios to Auto it's a dell dimension 2400 "

Start the computer, press F2 to enter setup. Scroll down to drive configuration and press enter. You should then have a list for

primary drive 0

primary drive 1

secondary drive 0

secondary drive 1

You can then check and alter each setting. The options will probably be " OFF " and " AUTO ".

Desperate-Dan 16:39 22 Sep 05

thanks Dan, Tommo, got it sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…