DVD-RW drives not detecting discs

NChick 17:32 24 Dec 08

Right - prob is this.
I have two DVD-RW drives, and neither so much as detects the presence of the DVD-RW discs that I want (and need!) to write to. Other formats of disc are detected fine.
The drives are:

D= Pioneer DVD-RW DVR105
Firmware version 1.30

E= Pioneer DVD-RW DVR1-5
Firmware version 1.21

I am using the correct disc format (Tesco-brand 4x DVD-RWs) and have tried having Winduhs "enabling" cd recording on each drive to no avail.
Winduhs of course reports each drive as functioning correctly.
These drives have worked before with no problems. I say before, because I recently installed XP Service Pack 2 on my Winduhs XP Pro machine - and since it has now become a crashy mess, as opposed to the rather stable and reliable system it was before, my suspicions are being firmaly aimed at the service pack :S
I have ruled out the burning program (RecordNow 7) as the problem.
I know it's christmas and people are busy, but I am in desperate need of help - and so is my poor, overburdened hard disk; hence the need to write to the DVD-RWs!
Thanks in advance

woodchip 17:42 24 Dec 08

Have you tried with + discs. Also try uninstalling drives in Device Manager the Reboot to reset the drives

NChick 18:07 24 Dec 08

No, I've not tried writing to + discs (DVD writing is limited to - format, but will read both).
Will try the "uninstall then reboot" trick - will it mess around the drive lettering or my games that expect the disc to be in a particular drive, though?

skidzy 18:23 24 Dec 08

Not strictly your problem but worth looking into;

First run the Doug Knox fix

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

NChick 18:29 24 Dec 08

That looks a little too technical for my liking - I will wait for Woodchip to explain a little more before I try it :)

skidzy 18:54 24 Dec 08

You say you have ruled out the burning program,have you tried another such as Imgburn ? click here

Can you verify the drives are listed in My Computer ?

NChick 18:57 24 Dec 08

Yes, I've tried another burning prog, CD Burner XP, same results - no disc detected in drive, skidzy

skidzy 18:59 24 Dec 08

And are they listed in My Computer ?

NChick 19:02 24 Dec 08

soz, skidzy :S yes, they are - everything appears to be present and correct

skidzy 19:05 24 Dec 08

Then the next step for me would be to change one of the drive letters to lets say (Z) this reduces confusion.If no joy with that then uninstall the drives from device manager and reboot as said by Woody.

NChick 19:08 24 Dec 08

okay - so how does one change a drive letter? the only drive letter changes I've experienced have been the ones that have happened automatically when I've added or removed things :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now