dvd -rw drive will not read dvd's

hansa 17:10 08 Oct 05

I have a SONY DVD RW DW-U18A installed and am running xp.
it will play dvd's and audio cd's but when I insert a blank DVD-RW or DVD-r disc it does not recognise them and I can not copy across.

In explorer the drive changes from DVD-RW drive to CD Drive.

Any ideas, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 08 Oct 05

Xp cannot write to a DVD you will need some 3rd party burning software such as Nero.

click here

hansa 19:30 08 Oct 05

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ but I haven't reached that stage yet.
As soon as I insert a dvd into the drwaer the info changes from DVD-RW drive to CD Drive. This happens with both R & RW disks

Totally-braindead 20:13 08 Oct 05

I wouldn't worry about that just yet because with no software to burn DVDs you can't do anything with it anyway, mine does it too for whatever reason, presumably something to do with the disk being blanked. But it still works normally.

hansa 20:40 08 Oct 05

thanks for yours Totally-braindead.
I am trying to use dvd decrypter. I already have Nero4 (which won't copy to dvd's) but I don't want to upgrade until I am sure that the drive works. Surely it should recognise that there is a dvd in the drawer rather than a cd. Apologies if this seems a stupid question but I just don't see why it has to change the drive info.

Totally-braindead 20:46 08 Oct 05

I'm afraid I don't understand either but my PC and my neighbours both do the same thing, we both have DVD writers (different makes) and both our PCs burn DVDs with no problems at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:22 09 Oct 05

Because windows software was only written for CD writers when a blank CD (CD or DVD) is detected in the drive the Device manager changes from DVD ROM to CD writer.

This will not affect the third party software like NERO.

When you run NERO remember to change the TOP left box on the first screen to DVD or CD depending on what you wnt to burn to.

hansa 09:55 10 Oct 05

thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\.
Will give it a shot with nero and see what happens.

Elkopop 10:53 08 Apr 06

CD rewriter drive and a seperate DVD drive wont recognise any disc when put into drives. At first this problem appeared after a music cd was played and they then just refused to recognise any game cd, but now they wont recognise any type of disc. Any ideas please?

terryf 14:56 08 Apr 06

Elkopop, haven't you posted this as a separate thread?

Elkopop 19:33 08 Apr 06

Sorry to butt in here, this was an oversight I pressed submit here by mistake instead of as a new thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…