DVD RW drive problems

LivEviL 22:41 17 Dec 06

right for some reason my dvd drive isnt seeing the disc when i put them in i thought i had just had a bad drive so i went and brought a new one and now its not seeing the new one's cds or DVDs either! its a NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG and its been installed fine just i not reading dvd's or CD's i tried this drive in my other computer and its fine in there! i also tried a sony CD rw Drive and it works fine in this pc so is there somthing i can click to make it work for my DVD drive many thanks! xXLivEiLXx

skidzy 22:42 17 Dec 06

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic etc.

Try the below link first,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first.

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

skidzy 22:54 17 Dec 06

If in doubt using the registry,Microsoft's guided help download may help click here

Scroll down to Guided Help Download and follow the instructions.

woodchip 23:02 17 Dec 06

Have you loaded any DVD software that you got with the Drive?

If not click here

LivEviL 10:30 18 Dec 06

thanks ill give it ago! im not at home at the mo!
i have nero and roxio, and i havent removed them. the drive is being seen under the my computer window and can see if i put a CD or a DVD in the drive as when u put it in it changed the discription of the drive corrisponding to the media which is in the drive. ill give the reg fix ago thank you ill report later!

LivEviL 19:07 18 Dec 06

ok that didnt change any thing! any other ideas?

skidzy 19:12 18 Dec 06

What does Device Manager say ? any exclaimation marks ?

Start/Right Click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager.

skidzy 19:19 18 Dec 06

Also check:

Right click the drive in MY Computer/Properties/Select the drive and Hardware/properties/under General check that the device is Enabled.

LivEviL 20:19 18 Dec 06

this didnt work iv been lookin on a few forums and also when i go to properties> genral the media type is only CD rom not DVD RW iv tried putting it as a slave but didnt change just when it reinstalled it, it saw the dvd drive as just a CD drive! does anyone have a driver for this/ or a standard DVD driver

De Marcus™ 20:32 18 Dec 06

Sorry if I've missed this but what operating system?

I'd also advise getting rid of both Nero and Roxio for now until you get the issue of disk recognition sorted. You can always re-install later.

skidzy 21:12 18 Dec 06

Hi De Marcus™

Follow De Marcus™ suggestion of removing Nero and roxio and run ccleaner click here to cleanup any obsolete registry paths left over,and reboot.

Just beaware you may be left with the problem of having to remove the upper and lower filters in the registry.There are a couple of tools ive posted earlier to remedy this problem.

If the drive is missing from My Computer after uninstallation of Roxio and Nero follow the
Sun, [email protected]:42 posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…