DVD RW drive only reading 1 on a few audio tracks

dave726587 17:04 25 Jun 09

My DVD Drive is working perfectly for everything like software installers but yesterday i tried 3 different Audio CD's and only 1 or a few tracks would play and the rest would give an error

I tried on both Windows Media Player and VLC

all the cd's are in perfect condition so i dont see what the problem is

The computer has never been opended or modified internally

please help

Stuartli 21:44 25 Jun 09

It could be that the CD laser has an intermittent fault or is on its way out.

Check the connections for firmness and then Uninstall the drive from Device Manager and Reboot.

Windows will Find New Hardware and Reinstall the basic CDROM driver (all that is required); hopefully this will restore correct operation.

By the way, rewriters are not as robust a device as ROM drives and it could be better to buy a DVD-ROM drive for installing software, listening to CDs etc and just use the DVD rewriter for burning purposes.

phono 22:01 25 Jun 09

What is the make and model of the drive and what exactly was the error?

dave726587 22:31 25 Jun 09

The error is:

Windows Media Player cannot read the CD. The disc might be dirty or damaged. Turn on error correction, and then try again.

Grey Goo 22:35 25 Jun 09

Is this a Vista machine.

phono 22:47 25 Jun 09

What error does VLC throw up, and again, what is the make and model of the drive?

dave726587 22:54 25 Jun 09

Yes its a Vista Machine

VLC gives no error, nothing plays thats all

in each Audio CD the first track always seems to work but the rest dont

I dont know the make or model but here is what it says in device manager: click here

Stuartli 00:54 26 Jun 09

It's an LG SATA optical drive, but available as a rebadged model from other manufacturers including, apparently, Hitachi.

Stuartli 00:55 26 Jun 09
  dave726587 15:31 26 Jun 09

thats the one Stuartli

the computer itself is a Dell Inspiron 531

phono 21:44 27 Jun 09

Depending on the current firmware version of your drive there may be an update available from Dell at click here there are full instructions and make sure you read them all, as well as the obligatory warnings about flashing firmware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…