DVD-RW Drive not detected in Windows XP

jonargent 23:13 07 Aug 10

Hi,

I've just installed a new SATA DVD-RW drive, an LG GH22LS50, which has been detected fine in the BIOS, but its not been detected in Windows, not even in Device Manager (Nothing shown under DVD drives, no problems shown under IDE adapters.)

Also, if I push the button to eject the tray, if windows is running, nothing happens, until I reboot the computer, but there is no problems if i try it after booting the computer!

My motherboard is a ECS 661FX-M7, and i've downloaded the IDE driver to see if that helps, but its not changed anything...

Thanks for your help

Strawballs 23:25 07 Aug 10

Try going into admin tools in control panel disc management and see if you can assign it a letter

jonargent 23:57 07 Aug 10

Hi, its not even showing in Disc management.. Just my PATA Hard drive... But I have removed a SATA hard drive which was working perfectly!

lotvic 00:20 08 Aug 10

In Device Manager are there any 'Unknown Devices'?

jonargent 08:51 08 Aug 10

No, there are none..

jonargent 17:56 09 Aug 10

Does anyone have any more ideas?? I'm at a loss with this...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 09 Aug 10

In Disk management have you scrolled down the bottom pane?

Might not be seen in top right pane but could still be seen in bottom right pane.

If its there highlight and right click for further options.

jonargent 19:24 09 Aug 10

Hi,

In disk management there is only the one entry for my PATA hard drive, nothing else. The DVD drive doesn't even respond to pushing the eject button while windows is running...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 09 Aug 10

go into BIOS, and then go to “SATA Management” to select AHCI or SATA mode.

Strawballs 19:46 09 Aug 10

It could be that your new drive is a duff one that just does not work!!

jonargent 20:27 09 Aug 10

Fruit Bat: I've looked in the BIOS, apart from a toggle to change SATA from IDE to RAID, theres no further advanced options for SATA...

Strawballs: Thats the impression i'm starting to get now, i'm going to take it back to PC World as soon as I can and get either a replacement or a refund...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac