dvd rw drive has dissappeared

wky 14:08 25 Oct 05

hey hope someone can help with this.

a friend of mine has a laptop and on the laptop is a dvd rw drive which was working fine a couple of days ago. But now the dvd drive is not in my computer anymore, went to device manager, it says the drivers are loaded but it cant find the drive. went into bios and it is shown there so i'm guessing it is just windows being stupid. But anyhow, does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance.

splork 14:19 25 Oct 05

Boot in safe mode and check in Device Manager, remove references to the DVD drive and see if Windows picks it up on the next normal boot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 25 Oct 05

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

wky 18:04 25 Oct 05

it appears in device manager. it just says the drivers are loaded but cannot detect the device.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 25 Oct 05

Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.

Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.

Close regedit and restart the computer.

If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

wky 19:17 25 Oct 05

cheers fruitbat solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…