DVD-RW changing permissions

pppc 16:06 26 Oct 10

I am running Windows VISTA. I have been using a DVD-RW as an additional storage device for some time without problems. However recently I have been denied access to a) create a new directory; b) delete files or directories and c) edit and replace files, each time being told the 'folder' is read only.

Properties for the disc show it as shared but each folder is shown as 'read only'.

I have no recollection of doing anything to change the permissions.

How do I get back full read and write access to all the files on the disc??

Incidentally has anyone any information about 'PC-Pitstop' - I have been advised to use it for this type of advice - and I notice it offers a full scan of my computer

Pineman100 17:40 26 Oct 10

It sounds as though you may have inadvertently "closed" the disk. With a DVD-RW, I believe this means that you can't write to it again until you have erased and reformatted it.

So I think you'll have to copy the files off it, then erase and reformat it, then copy the files back on again, making sure that you don't close it.

Just an observation, I would have thought that if it is Closed he won't be able to erase - just format?

Just an observation, I would have thought that if it is Closed he won't be able to erase - just format?

pppc 08:51 27 Oct 10

Many thanks for suggestion. Tried to act on it and it looks as if the disc and/or some files on it are corrupt - I am having trouble copying it. Will note the effect of 'closing' a RW disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5