DVD R/RW question

Simon_P 13:52 25 May 04

I currently have a DVD rom which is failing and only reads disks when it feels like it, so maybe it is time to move forward and get a DVDRW.

This however raises a few questions

How stable is DVD R media compared to CD R media for long term storage?

Which is the best writing format + or -?

What I need is to be able to back up medium to large image folders/files primarily, and to play DVD movies/music.

Sys spec
AMD 2800+ 1Gb DDR
Win XP home sp1 etc
Nero.5.5
So that should be well within spec

TIA

rickf 14:01 25 May 04

My experience is that -R plays in most standalone dvd players. They are also much cheaper. I picked up 25 cake Datawrite, yellow, for £10 over the w/end. Generally, they are bwteen £13-£15 per cake. REmember though that these write once only as opposed to-/+RWs.

Simon_P 14:05 25 May 04

Thanks.
I should have said that I am just archiving large image files mainly so R is sufficient as they don’t need to be altered or re-written.

rickf 14:10 25 May 04

I have not had any probs. They been very stable for me.

Simon_P 20:39 25 May 04

Opinions? ^Bump^

Pearly Gates |X|X| 21:52 25 May 04

The Verbatim Datalife disks have a lifetime warranty, so the blurb says.

woodchip 21:58 25 May 04

I got some Datasafe Media DVDRW + 2.4x at £1.50 each from Comp faire and they work OK with my DVDRW. They also are Yellow top

Simon_P 00:15 26 May 04

I'm sorry I dont know what yellow top is.

BBez 00:25 26 May 04

Watch the LG - Goldstar 4040-B drive.

Worked fine for a few months in which time i've had to do 3 BIOS firmware flashes to get it to accept various formats (super-multiwrite drive).

Handled unbranded -r's at first at x4, now only writes them at x2. +r's (Ritek) & DVD-RAM write happily at x4...

Get discs with a purple look to the data side of the disc, they are compatible with anything you play them in... Also discs made by "Ritek" give me no problems regardless of Format

Simon_P 00:51 26 May 04

I have had LG CDRom and DVDrom and they have both packed up, so I think I will look elseware, on the other hand thier tft's are very good, I guess no ones perfect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…