DVD rom will not play DVD Rs

SPARKY 20:26 20 Apr 04

Can anyone help with the following problem. the PC is an IBM Thinkpad 600X laptop. It will not play any DVD Rs, it will play a genuine DVDs and it will play CD Rs. when a DVD R is inserted it says that the disk is not recognised or not formatted under windows.
The PC has Media Player and Power DVD installed.
Something else which confused me was in the Properties of the drive, it is correctly listed as a Mat*!@:a DVD drive, but in "My Computer" it is only showing as a CD Rom, not DVD Rom.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Rayuk 20:41 20 Apr 04

I would hazard a guess and say its the dvd r media you are using.you will have to try others and find the right media for your drive.

tony1160 21:08 20 Apr 04

wild guess but are the disks your tryin to play + or - ? as your dvd-rom may not support

SPARKY 17:52 24 Apr 04

Thanks guys, but the media format doesn't seen to matter.
At the moment I'm trying the firmware pages for an upgrade for the drive , but I cannot find one.
I have found that I have not been the only one with this problem, but at this time i still do not have a solution. There seems to be a download for every other Matshita drive except the SR 8171, which funnuly enough is the one I've got.
Thanks

JFT 18:57 24 Apr 04

For firmware click here

Mister Splendid 19:06 24 Apr 04

I had the same problem with a Matshita drive and dvd+rw disks. I spent less than £30 on a new Sony drive. Prolem solved!

SPARKY 08:02 29 Apr 04

Thanks JFT, found the file required with your link, I will tick problem solved although I need to read up on how to flash. I'm sure I can get this from the same site. It cant be worse than flashing a BIOS and I'm ok with that.
Thanks again.

Note for Mister Splendid, thanks for your reply aswell. Was the drive you purchased the same shape so that it fitted exactly. If so which drive model was it and where did you find it.
Thanks.

Mister Splendid 19:07 29 Apr 04

I bought the Sony drive in PCworld. The model number was not marked on the box, just Sony 16x 48x dvd-rom cream bezel. As the drive is fitted I cannot easily check the label. As for size it is just a standard 5 1/2" drive, so no fitting problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…