DVD ROM stops reading CDs

Shortland 15:50 16 Apr 04

My DVD reader on my computer has stopped reading CDs it will however still read DVDs correctly. It does not even register the existance of a CD in the drive after first few flashes of the 'working ' LED. I have Windows XP home and Athlon 1800 and 512M RAM. Do I need a new DVD/CD reader or is there another solution.
Any Suggestions?

hugh-265156 15:56 16 Apr 04

try holding down shift and close the drawer.give it a few seconds to spin up and then see if the disc is recognised.

try uninstalling the drive via device manager and restart the computer,windows will find it and reinstall it again,sometimes works.

my old combo drive doesnt read cds any more but will play dvds ok.i bought a new cd writer and kept the dvd drive to play dvds.

Diodorus Siculus 15:56 16 Apr 04

Sounds like the lens for the CD is dirty / broken - did you try a cleaner on it?

The DVD laser and the CD laser are two different lasers.

Stuartli 16:04 16 Apr 04

As Diodorus Siculus points out it sounds as though the CD laser has given up the ghost.

A new DVD-ROM drive is as little as £15-£20 these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…