DVD Rom problems.

deneka 15:11 06 Jul 04

I am not sure what has happened, but each time i put a dvd disc or any disc for that matter, into my DVD rom drive, it says that there is no disc in there.

I have clicked on my computer, rick clicked d:\, clicked properties & under the general tab, where it shows a pie chart, it is showing that the whole disc drive is used space (all coloured blue as opposed to pink (un-used). However at the top is says used space : 0 bytes
free space : 0 bytes

I dont fully understand this, but obviously there is something wrong with the drive & i'm now unsure of what to do.

Stuartli 15:25 06 Jul 04

It will be blue without a disk inserted - have you checked the AutoPlay tab and also the Drivers tab?

deneka 18:15 06 Jul 04

autoplay tab, has it set to prompt me for action & there is no driver tab???

Sans le Sou 20:00 06 Jul 04

Is your drive recognised in device manager?

deneka 21:23 06 Jul 04

Please tell me how to get into device manager. Know how to do it with win'98, but can't find it on xp :(

Mikè 22:34 06 Jul 04

To open Device Manager, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

deneka 12:27 07 Jul 04

IT says

+ DVD/CD ROM DRIVE

then

-DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316E
-DVDRW IDE1008

There are no yellow exlamation marks, so am assuming that the drivers are ok?

Stuartli 13:29 07 Jul 04

The only driver requred is the basic Windows CDROM driver.

Try Removing the DVD-ROM drive in Device Manager and then doing a reboot. Windows should then Install New Hardware and also the basic driver.

Have you also checked that all connections are firm and properly connected?

Chegs ® 13:47 07 Jul 04

I have a DVD-ROM that used to work great,but recently it started displaying "Insert a disc" with my homemade DVD's(data and films)It only ever recognises an original DVD disc,sound stutters,etc.I have tried installing new DVD software,reinstalling the OS and progs from scratch,SFC /SCANNOW,and using a CD-Cleaner,but nothing can get it to work as before.I am going to swap it for the second DVD-ROM in my other machine(which works fine)and see if its the DVD-ROM thats kerry packered,or the software somehow.

deneka 16:02 07 Jul 04

Have tried mucking about with it but still won't work. Havent a clue whats up as it was working fine two days ago.

It wont recognise, original dvds, copy dvds, original cd's (music), copy cd's or just data discs.... it keeps saying insert disc!!!!

deneka 16:30 07 Jul 04

Stuartli

Please confirm, before i do anything, do i right click the dvd rom drive & then do i select 'disable' or 'uninstall'????

I am frightened to do anything & possibly muck it up altogether.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…