dvd rom problem

morph76 17:31 08 Aug 05

Ive just bought moh pacific assault and it wont work after ive put it into my dvd rom drive. I looked at the back of the package and seen that it says dvd-rom 8speed. How do I know if my drive is 8speed or could it be another problem ??

DieSse 17:43 08 Aug 05

"How do I know if my drive is 8speed or could it be another problem ??"

It won't be the drive speed - it'll be another problem. If you can explain "won't work" in some detail - you may get some better help.

morph76 17:49 08 Aug 05

ok dieSse. When I put it into the drive and close it the light flashes on the front and a clicking noise comes from the drive as if somethings touching the disc as it spins. I have noticed recently that it takes the drive longer to load anything. The only info I have on it is that it is an LG dvd-rom drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 08 Aug 05

do any other CDs work in the drive?

morph76 19:09 08 Aug 05

Yes, I tried one staight after the moh disc and it worked

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 08 Aug 05

Looks like a problem with the actual CD

Try cleaning the cd with a cleaning cloth for glasses.

If no better then return the MOH CD to where you bought it from

Totally-braindead 19:30 08 Aug 05

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault is a DVD not a CD. Try another DVD in the drive and see if that works, if not try cleaning the drive. Failing that you'll need a new DVD Rom. To explain better, DVD Roms have 2 sets of lasers, one to read CDs and one to read DVDs. Its quite possible for a DVD Rom to read one type of media and not the other. So just because your DVD Rom reads a CD is no indication that it is in fact working ok. The only way to be sure whether its the drive or the disk is to try another DVD.

morph76 19:59 08 Aug 05

This is gonna sound totally daft but is there a difference in a dvd rom and a dvd video? Tried a dvd video and it worked.Every time I try the moh disc the drive makes clicking noises inside

Totally-braindead 20:27 08 Aug 05

Not it doesn't sound daft at all, if a DVD film works and a DVD game doesn't then I'd say the disk was faulty and would take it back to the shop for replacement. Actually thinking about it a bit you've got me wondering now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 08 Aug 05

DVD film and game use same laser to play.

If film ok then MOH DVD is faulty.

Totally-braindead 20:43 08 Aug 05

Thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\ I thought it was but when I started thinking about it I began to wonder if there was a difference. So I'd take the game back morph76 and get a replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…