DVD-ROM problem

Martin-303092 22:15 25 Mar 05

I've just had to do a full restore on my laptop for reasons I still dont know. I've restored XP and installed Office and Norton AV successfully.

However, when I came to use a CD-rom which I have been working from I was unable to access anything on it. The Office and Norton CDs have worked ok and it also reads the title correctly in the explorer panel but it wont expand to show any folders.

Can anyone help me with this? Its a Sony laptop with a QSI SDR-081 DVD rom drive running XP.

Cheers

Bally

Martin-303092 22:38 25 Mar 05

I've just tried the Norton CD in again out of curiosity and found that although the autoplay works I still cant look at any files using windows explorer.

Any suggestions?

Totally-braindead 23:48 25 Mar 05

The only thing I can think of is that your laptop uses some sort of software which is missing, it would be unusual for it to be something like that as all PCs that I have seen just use a Windows driver, have a look on the Sony website and see if theres anything there. The other thing of course is that this could just be a coincidence, try cleaning the drive and see if that does anything. What problems were you experiencing before that caused you to wipe it, just wondered if the fault was with the cdrom all the time.

Martin-303092 09:10 26 Mar 05

I'm not sure what the cause was really. Everything was fine less than an hour before it happened. I just switched it on and got a blue screen for a second saying could not load some part of registry then returned to safe mode/last known good config options to reboot.

I tried cleaning it already too.

Stuartli 09:40 26 Mar 05

It just might be that the CD laser has packed up - does a DVD work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…