DVD ROM Problem

WaiKent 15:33 06 Nov 03

Hi i have just finished building my pc and have posted a message b4 of it not being able to post, but for all you who want to know, it was a faulty gfx card and not to do with the ram. So i did all this and booted it up and the harddrive is connected to the primary ide and the dvdrw and dvd rom drives are connected to secondary ide, dvd rom as slave and dvd rw as master. i booted and first it doesnt recognise the dvd rom drive and recognises the dvd rw and hdd, but sometimes the dvd rw is scrambled letters for some reason. so i plugged the dvd rom into the primary ide as slave on same ribbon cable as hdd and then nothing on the primary ide was recognised. so i unplugged the dvd rom altogether and it worked and i installed windows. but what was causing this as i still want to install this drive? could it be that the jumpers were set incorrectly as i think this is the main problem. Sorry to all who cant read this because of my lack of paragraphs.

Jester2K II 15:39 06 Nov 03

Could be jumpers or knackered DVD Drive.

Can you try it in a mates PC?

Stuartli 17:30 06 Nov 03

Your Master setting for the rewriter and Slave for the ROM drive are correct for the secondary IDE cable configuration - is DMA also set for both?

Have you also checked in Device Manager that the drive letter settings are correct for each drive; presumably this will be D for the ROM drive and E for the rewriter?

Sometimes Windows allocates the wrong letter for a drive.

WaiKent 15:49 07 Nov 03

thanks for your help but i have sorted the problem out now. the drive wasnt set to slave but master. that was a really stupid mistake. thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…