To DVD rom or not?

josie mayhem 11:12 30 Dec 03

Are they worth it?

I've waited on the side lines, waiting for the formatting and cost issuse to be sorted, which has happened.

But when I was reading the posts the other day, I noticed a post enquirring was it better to keep the Cd-rom and dispatch the there CD-rw, as they now had a dvdrw. One answer explained that a dvdrw had a very short life on the laser, and to keep the cd-rw and use this for all burning, using the dvd for burning dvd's only to extend its life.

So how long is the expected life span?

I shall chuck a daft question in here, what do you get in the box?

As I've already got nero, so could I go barebone to save some money?

dazzling (work) 11:31 30 Dec 03

format not sorted yet still like the vhs betamax debate.i have a sony dual format writes + & - so no problem which format wins.if you have a spare slot just put in the extra drive i use mine purely for burning dvd as have dvd rom and cdrw as well.havent heard anything about limited laser lifespan.which version of nero do you have 5.5 has limited suppourt but 6 has pretty much everything you could want with the last update.as for what you get in the box if you buy an oem version just the drive no cables software or suppourt.retail box software possibly ide cable some media instructions.prices cheapnow you can get dual format writer less than £100.darren

click here £117.49 dual format writer

soy 12:24 30 Dec 03

Well, you have got to ask yourself, do I need a DVD burner?

Are you going to use if to burn home movies?

Back up huge amounts of data?

If not, then I wouldn't think its worth the money. I have a CDRW burner thats hardly ever had its laser switched on. Having a DVD burner sounds very nice and its applealing to have the mod-cons but will it get any proper use to justify the money?

Don't forget that DVD disks are also quite expensive.

josie mayhem 12:47 30 Dec 03

I have nero 5.5 at the moment, which should cervice for a while, as my main use for the dvd would be for back-ups (which I don't keep a lot of important info on the computer) and for still photo's and slide shows.

I've usaully by ome, because I normally got the bits I need, but I think I might just lay out the extra it might be easier in the long run, I know then that I've got the correct cable/driver ect, out having to search the net.

One idea I did have, was if I brought a t.v card, could I then record onto my hard drive (having a unused 80g), and then burn to dvd, to watch (as you would a video, not on a permement bases)

Stuartli 15:37 30 Dec 03

You are getting mixed up with CD/DVD-ROM drives and CD-RW and/or DVD rewriters.

A DVD-ROM will play both CDs and DVDs, including audio CDS, plus install software from either format. It has two lasers, one for CDs and the other for DVDs, due to the different wavelengths required to read the two types of disks.

A CD-RW or DVD-RW/DVD+RW is a rewriter and I think you may have read some of my comments.

The point is that rewriters are not the most robust of components and, although to a lesser extent this also applies to CD/DVD-ROM drives, it is thus best to keep a rewriter just for burning purposes.

Use the CD/DVD-ROM drives for playing music, installing software etc; if you wish to copy a disk use the -ROM drive as, at least with Nero, the burning software controls the drives' operations.

You will need to disable Auto Insert Notification for the CD/DVD-ROM drive, plus enable DMA for both of them.

It is, or at least used to be(!), much cheaper to replace a CD/DVD-ROM drive than a rewriter, but prices of both CD and DVD rewriters has dropped dramatically in recent months.

If you go to, say, Plextor's website click here
and check out the specifications of CD/DVD-ROM drives compared to CD-RW or DVD-RW rewriters (go to the end of each model's specifications), you will be able to clearly work out the anticipated lifespan for each type...:-)

Up to a couple of years ago even the top drive manufacturers wouldn't replace a faulty new drive if it was more than a couple of weeks or so old - you could only get it repaired or replaced with a refurbished equivalent.

I beat this quite absurd ruling on three occasions during one hectic month with a rebadged Plextor CD rewriter by pointing out the Sales of Goods Act's requirements.

But others might not have been so persistent...

Ice Junkie 15:40 30 Dec 03

I have that DVD-R, very good!!

Stuartli 15:41 30 Dec 03

..as you already have Nero and could, if necessary, update it from the Ahead website providing it was not originally supplied for a specific rewriter (i.e. an OEM version), you should buy an OEM DVD rewriter.

It will only need the basic Windows driver and you can find several offered for around £85-£100 with a quick look through the online retailers such as dabs.com, click here, ebuyer etc.

josie mayhem 16:23 30 Dec 03

Yes it was a reply of yours that I read, but I couldn't locate to refreash my memory.

Checked some specs out, and even though the abrevation didn't mean a thing to me, I think that I get a jest of what they ment, basicaly poh= per operating hour, which includes both reading and writing of disks and that the higher the figure the longer the laser is expected to last?

Does MTFB= manufaturer test before failure?

So I think its a case of checking the magic MTFB spec against price, and not paying to much just in case of any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…