DVD rom only recognises CDs

Cliff98 10:45 01 Feb 05

My DVD rom drive does not recognise any DVD I put in it, I just get the message "insert disc in Drive E" and looking in Explorer shows nothing in the drive. However CDs run perfectly in this drive. I have used a DVD lens cleaner disc but didn't help. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Diodorus Siculus 11:40 01 Feb 05

Could be that the DVD laser has failed - it is a different one to the CD laser.

Try removing the device from the device manager and reboot; if it is a windows issue, it might sort it out.

Stuartli 12:07 01 Feb 05

As Diodorus Siculus points out there are normally two lasers in a DVD-ROM drive or player as the wavelengths used by the respective lasers are different.

The advice to uninstall and then reboot, letting Windows install its own CDROM driver (the only one required) is sound.

Cliff98 12:18 01 Feb 05

Thanks Diodorus Siculus and Stuartli, I've already tried removing in device manager and rebooting without any result. Sounds like I need to get a replacement DVD ROM drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…