DVD ROM OEM.

Topsee 14:10 24 Apr 05

I would like to buy a DVD ROM for watching short films which I have acquired and for use with any dvd software that I might buy in the future.

I have seen a DVD ROM OEM at click here
and I wondered whether it would have the right software to run films or not, as someone said it wouldn't. What is the significance of the OEM thing with respect to home users like myself?

Diodorus Siculus 14:25 24 Apr 05

OEM - usually indicates that the drive comes with no software etc. Windows will recognise the drive so it will work ok for data.

You will need to install something like PowerDVD or Windows Media Player 9 with appropriate codecs to watch DVD films.

click here
Free dvd player downloads - DSPlayer Description

PÃTRIÇK? 14:27 24 Apr 05

I had a dvd given to me it plays dvd's and also burn to cd. I did a search on google and found lots of software to run it. Also windows updated the drivers aswell.

If you go to the companies web site I am sure they will have help pages for you to brows through.

I hope this helps :-)

TomJerry 14:37 24 Apr 05

but, great value for money, nothing wrond with them

you might be better off to buy a standard alone DVD player connect to DVD. You can pick up one from Currys for £29.99

Stuartli 14:52 24 Apr 05

A basic DVD-ROM drive is from around £12 to £15 these days for a top brand such as Pioneer (a CD-RW rewriter is very little more!).

As you are buying hardware, ask if you can also purchase PowerDVD or similar at a beneficial price; Windows Media Player requires either a hardware or software decoder to be used to play DVDs.

As for the drive itself, as with all CD/DVD-ROM and rewriter drives, it will use the basic Windows CDROM driver which will be installed automatically when you install the drive.

Topsee 17:25 24 Apr 05

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Topsee 17:25 24 Apr 05

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…