DVD ROM Not Working

ER INDOORS 15:56 20 Jun 05

I use Windows XP Home Edition. The DVD Rom won't play any DVDs. I tried playing it manually. It freezes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it's still the same. It shows it's working in Device Manager. I phoned PC World Helpline as I have Coverplan with them. When I told him he said the DVD Rom is corrupt and I'd have to restore from the beginning. I can't beleive there's a need to be that drastic. Please can anybody help.

roygbiv 16:47 20 Jun 05

My postings, This does seem "a bit Drastic"

De Marcus 17:32 20 Jun 05

When you say you uninstalled it, do you mean the drive or ide channel?

roygbiv 17:43 20 Jun 05

not sure, but i think uninstalled the drive from device manager, it installs it self on start up

(she rang to tell me, shes busy for a couple of hours so cant check any thing)

ER INDOORS 17:45 20 Jun 05

I uninstalled the DVDRom and restarted my computer. And it recognised the Hardware and it was back in Device Manager.

De Marcus 17:46 20 Jun 05

It would be a better idea to uninstall the ide channel the drive sits on (i.e. primary or secondary, or both if your'e not sure) and rebooting. This serves to reinstall the ide drivers with which are used to communicate with the dvd drive and may be corrupt.

ER INDOORS 17:56 20 Jun 05

How do do that

De Marcus 18:01 20 Jun 05

In device manager there will be a listing called ide/atapi controllers, expand this list and you'll be presented with the ide channels (primary and secondary) uninstall both and reboot, windows will install all new drivers for the channels including the devices attached to them. Much the same as you did originally.

De Marcus 18:02 20 Jun 05

You uninstall byu right clicking on them and selecting uninstall, cancel any requests to reboot until both have been uninstalled

ER INDOORS 18:21 20 Jun 05

I've done what you said. It's still not working

De Marcus 18:24 20 Jun 05

Well from that, I'd hazard a guess at the drive being knackered. Does the drive spin up, play any kind of disks?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…