//some 3rd party need geo

DVD-ROM not working

Tangy 21:54 22 Dec 03

Recently, my DVD-ROM stopped working. When I insert a CD/DVD in the DVD-ROM, it just spins a little bit & nothing happens (whether audio or data disk). From My Computer, it can be seen that the computer doesn't recognise that anything is in the DVD-ROM.

When I start my Win XP in safe mode, the DVD-ROM can recognise the files in a CD/DVD. Therefore I know there is nothing wrong on the hardware side.

Does anyone know what are the most common reasons why the DVD-ROM doesn't work in Windows XP normal mode?

kjrider 21:57 22 Dec 03

In case you have changed anything, try doing a system 'restore' and see what goes. Go back till the time when you knew it was working.
Could also try cleaning it, but as it is OK in safe mode, should not make any difference?
have fun, and a good xmas.

Tangy 22:27 22 Dec 03

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there any way to resolve this apart from systems restore?

Tangy 23:05 27 Dec 03

Didn't do system restore. It turned out that it was the driver for my USB flash disk that was the problem. I uninstalled it & afterwards the DVD-ROM worked OK. I didn't actually need it in the first place as I use Windows XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…