dvd rom/ hard drive

kkkoolkev 12:16 29 Apr 07

have a dell inspiron 8000 notebook. i have had a problem with windows not starting and all the option like safe mode ect would not work. So i have tried to reinstall windows but the dvd drive would not read the disk. The bios detects that the dvd drive is there but wont boot from the dvd drive so i bought a new one which changed my 20gb hard drive to a 360.5gb hard drive in the bios screen. Since then i have bought a new hard drive and mother board still no luck i really have no idea what else to try. Also i made a ms-dos floppy disk which says the drive is there only when i try to read the disk it says general read error retry abort fail. Could it be the jumper setting on the hard drive as the dvd drive has no jumper, i can select device 0 device 1 or cable select device 0 is reconized in the bios cable select is not reconized and also does not show the hard drive as being there. Has anyone got any idea what to do as i am lost or is there another way to boot windows with out using the dvd drive please help

mocha 13:18 29 Apr 07

In the bios settings there should be an option to 'make cd-rom first boot device', this will include your DVD drive. If there is no such option you will need 6 floppy disks then go here for the setup disks program click here

To setup with above floppies make sure your floppy drive in the bios is 'first boot device', you will need the XP disk in the DVD drive.

kkkoolkev 15:26 29 Apr 07

i have the dvd drive as the first boot drive but it does not seam to look for it just says no boot sector dectect on hard drive

Totally-braindead 15:33 29 Apr 07

Is the disk in the DVD drive?

It appears from what you are saying that it either is not set to boot from the CD drive and is going to the Hard Drive or its not reading the CD disk and is going to the hard drive that being the next item in the boot order. Naturally when it says boot sector not found on hard drive its because its not formatted.

kkkoolkev 17:54 29 Apr 07

yeah the disk is in the drive i have been reading about. and in one forum someone mentioned that you can copy the i386 folder from the windows disk and run the setup from ms dos. would this work?

mocha 18:27 29 Apr 07

If your Hard Drive is not formatted (as Totally-braindead) has said then you will not be able to copy the i386 folder onto it.

kkkoolkev 19:41 29 Apr 07

so can someone please explian what this cable select is and why this does not work on my system
thank for all the comments by the way!!

mocha 23:40 29 Apr 07

Look here for an explanation of cable select. click here

kkkoolkev 08:58 30 Apr 07

thanks mocha for the link i will have a read cheers

mocha 20:16 30 Apr 07

If you follow my first suggestion you will find that the boot sequence is started by the floppy disks then when the XP CD is needed the system will automatically use the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…