dvd rom drive won't read dvds

marty30 13:17 09 Apr 03

my dvdrom drive has stopped reading dvds and dvdroms. It reads audio and cdroms but doesn't detect dvds in the drive (xp os)

billyliv 13:57 09 Apr 03

Hi, Possibly your DVD decoder has become corrupted. Do you have your DVD software disc so that you can re-instal it? If you have the disc I would imagine that you would have to remove the previous set up through 'Add Remove Programs' before you re-instal. cheers, Bill

xtreme_computing 15:33 09 Apr 03

aswell as the above you may want to check that autorun is setup correctly for your dvd's

goto my computer,right click your dvd drive and choose properties then the autoplay tab

under select content type there is a drop down menu, click the little arrow highlight dvd movie

then tick select an action to perform and choose either your dvd software or media player

or select prompt for action

another way of testing it, is if you put a dvd disc in and goto the dvd software that you use to play dvd's and run it see if it detects the dvd movie

Totally-braindead 16:47 09 Apr 03

You can also try buying a DVD cleaner disk. I got one from Tescos for £4.99 I think it was. The reason I'm mentioning this is a friend of mine had the same problem and was told by the engineer(it was still under warranty and they eventually replaced it ) that DVD players unlike CDROM drives have seperate lazers, so a DVD drive can still read CDROMs but may be unable to read DVDs due to problems with the DVD lasers. I can't confirm that this is true, I'm sure someone in the Forum will correct me if this is a load of rubbish that my friend was told but not withstanding cleaning the drive seems like a reasonable thing to do once you've tried what the others have suggested

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…