Dvd rom drive status led flashing Constantly

Field Division 09:35 16 Nov 06

I have an IBM think pad with a dvd writer on board, when I boot up m/c the led on drive flashes all the time,I have check my bios set up incase it was set to check drive on start up but it isn't, how can i get this to stop flashing as though it is looking for media all the time,

Thanks...

Stuartli 09:45 16 Nov 06

Try disabling Auto Insert Notification from Device Manager.

Field Division 10:51 16 Nov 06

Okay will give that a bash when I get home..thanks Stuartli

Field Division 00:52 17 Nov 06

doesnt seem to have the option in device manager for disabling auto insert

rodriguez 02:00 17 Nov 06

It seems as if the drive is trying to read a disc that isn't there. The lasers in CD/DVD drives look for reflective material that shines the beam back and tells them to spin the disc up and read the TOC. If you put a random piece of reflective material over the top of the laser, it will read and read and not do much else because there's nothing to read. So there could be something shiny lodged in the drive somehow...or the drive could be just knackered. If it tried to read as soon as the laptop is switched on, then I suspect one of those two causes, as this problem occuring straight from switch-on is unlikely to be software.

Stuartli 09:14 17 Nov 06

You'll probably find it as AutoPlay in XP - in My Computer highlight the drive>right click>Properties>AutoPlay tab.

Field Division 10:12 17 Nov 06

Will try the autoplay which sounds could be the cause then again so does the reflective issue,as when I powered on L/T last night the drive didnt do its usual and scan for a disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…