DVD-ROM Drive recognised as a CD-ROM Drive

Jaymz87 14:36 23 May 05

OK, this has me stumped!
I bought this computer 3-4 years ago, and for the first 1-2 years, my DVD drive worked perfectly, but for a while, I never tried to play DVDs on it, only CDs.
Recently, I have tried to use a DVD-ROM in it, and it wouldn't recongnise it, I have tried many different DVD disks, video and non-video ones, and it won't pick any of them up.

I have looked in the device manager for reasons why, and whats confused me is that I have the following under "DVD/CD-ROM Drives":

ARTEC WRR-52Z (CD-RW, works fine)
Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B

Now, the last two is whats confusing me...

I only have a CD-RW Drive and a DVD Drive (one of each) I don't know why there are 2 "DVD-ROM" drives installed, and furthermore, in the properties, they are noted as Generic CD-ROM Drives, and in My Computer, they are Type "CD-Rom Drive".

I have tried all sorts to get it working again... such as:

Uninstalling the drivers and restarting Windows
Searching for new drivers for it (can't find any)
Looked inside to see if there are any extra cables that have come loose (all cables are plugged in securely)

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I would rather fix this drive than pay out for a new one.

TIA, Jaymz

Jaymz87 14:47 23 May 05

just to clear things up, thats:

"Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device"

and

"HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B"

Jaymz87 17:42 23 May 05

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…