DVD ROM Drive problems

SKATE8ER 17:34 16 Dec 03

Hello to you all, I require some advice regarding a problem that I am having with my DVD ROM drive. The problem is that my drive does not read any DVD media such as DVD movies or DVD ROM discs that you get on the front of magazines. I think the drive itself is working OK because I can play audio cds, cd-roms and other data cds through this drive. When I place A DVD disc into my computer, the mouse pointer changes to the cd loading sign for about 20 seconds and then stops. During this time the drive light flashes and I can hear the drive trying to load the disc.I click on the numbered drive icons within the 'my computer' file and it tells me to insert a disc into this drive. I have accessed the properties tab and it tells me that this device is working ok. I have tried system restore, uninstalled all programmes that I have loaded recently and also virus checked my entire system. I use PowerDVD and WMP 9 to watch my DVD's but these both tell me that there is no disc in the drive. My OS is XP Home.

Thank you.

Nellie2 17:56 16 Dec 03

To play a DVD you need DVD software like Power DVD etc... do you have any installed on your comp?

Nellie2 17:57 16 Dec 03

Oops sorry.... didn't catch the last line of your post.......sigh, think I need a big glass of wine!!

Stuartli 10:03 17 Dec 03

As most DVD-ROM drives have two lasers, one for DVDs and the other for CDs and CD-ROM disks, it could be that the DVD laser has packed up (a DVD laser has a shorter wavelength).

Just one point - have you enabled the DVD Video box in WMP9 via Tools>Options>File Types?

alcudia 11:41 17 Dec 03

Had this exact problem myself a few weeks ago. I eventually replaced the drive. You can get one for about £20 nowadays.

SKATE8ER 20:13 17 Dec 03

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I do have PowerDVD Installed and I have watched DVD's on this before. On WMP 9, I have all file types listed as in use so no problems there. I am almost resigned to the fact that I might have to buy a new drive although a recordable DVD drive might be my next option.

BeForU 22:08 17 Dec 03

i have this very exact same problem myself! someitmes some DVD movies are able to work but after a while, it stutters too much and then just crashes! other CDS like audio, data etc work fine! im going to buy a new DVD drive myself and i would suggest you do as well! go for one thats region-free as well to make it alot easier as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now