DVD-ROM drive keeps ejecting

xuroys 17:26 14 Oct 05

My 3 yr old computer has a Toshiba DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive and recently it keeps ejecting any disc I try to use or read. Sometimes, if I stop the tray from ejecting, it will work but just as often it does not. Is there any simple answer to this problem ?
Regards,
Baz

curlylad 00:37 15 Oct 05

If you have the drives documentation go back over it to check all settings are as they should be.Check the manufacturers recommendation for the use of DMA settings , then go into device manager and on the settings tab if it says the DMA is enabled then disable it to see if this solves the problem.Check all cables are securely connected.Download latest drivers.

jack 09:16 15 Oct 05

As curly-lad suggests something has changed so do yer checkin

Also do a CD drive clean with one of those CD cleaner thingys- [a CD with little embedded brush]
perchance the laser has got a bit mucky.

xuroys 09:53 10 Dec 07

Installed new computer, put the old troublesome one up in the loft (for backup), plugged it in and tray stayed shut !!
I think computers are aliens in disguise. I bought the new computer 4 years ago because my old one (with Win98SE) was playing up so much. As soon as the new one was on its way the old one started to behave itself (apart from the DVD drive tray and I had 2 DVD drives) so I didn't bother to set up my new computer, which is still in the box !! Meanwhile I've been using a laptop with XP Home.

harryp 23:40 17 Mar 09

xuroys, I have that same problem with my slimline cd slot. I can't believe you came back to your thread after more than two years lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…