DVD-ROM Drive Install Problem..

daba 20:54 07 Apr 04

I have just hardware installed a Lite-On DVD-ROM drive on my Win98SE Celeron 1200 PC.

I haven't, as yet, installed any drivers, Device Manager says no drivers are required. I did download "Afs2k.sys" from driverguide, but how do I install a 'SYS' driver.

It all seems hardware OK, reads CDs reads , and DVD 'Folders'OK, but no DVD plays.

Will Win Media Player 9 play DVD's. If not what other software could I use.

TIA

VoG II 21:01 07 Apr 04

If it says it doesn't need drivers presumably it is using Windows own quite happily. I'm assuming it didn't come with a disk.

I think you will need something more to play DVDs click here is not brilliant but free.

daba 21:14 07 Apr 04

I'll try Maximus, see how it goes.

ventanas 21:56 07 Apr 04

You don't need any drivers for a dvd-rom or any dvd or cd drive. Windows has them built in. You will need software to play dvd movies, but data discs should be read ok. Media Player can play movies, but does not come with the necessary codecs. You need to install another video player such as Power DVD. That will provide the codecs and you can then use MP.

daba 22:27 07 Apr 04

I have tried Maximus, pointed it at the 'video_ts' folder on the DVD, but it complains about "No Catalogue for this DVD".

The software that auto-loaded from a commercial CD - "InterActual Player" seems to be just a front-end to whatever DVD playing software or codec is installed (possibly none!), it complains about not being able to use the audio hardware, because it is 'in-use', but I don't think anything else is using it at the time.

And RealPlayer10 fails to play a DVD with a "key exchange" error. Real's Online Help not working currently.

What am I missing?
Does the .SYS file (from Driverguide) for the CD-ROM drive provide the DVD playing functionality , and if so how do I 'Install' from a .SYS file.

Oh so many questions, hope you can help...

AndySD 22:39 07 Apr 04

Why not try the 30 day trial of something like WinDVD click here just to make sure its working.

daba 23:56 07 Apr 04

Done - AndySD.

Seems to be pretty much OK, although PC crashed after using it, with 'left-slanting' random coloured lines.

I'll try update of graphics card drivers (nVidia geforce MX440-8X) tomorrow.

I'll tick resolved in any case, if I need more help i'll thread back to this.

TA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…