dvd rom drive eject problem will not stay closed

Cosmic Guerilla 18:16 11 Apr 04

I have a dell pc running Windows XP. It has a CD-RW drive and a separate DVD-ROM drive.

As soon as I turn on the pc (or if I do a reboot) the DVD-ROM drive ejects and then closes again. It does this 5 or 6 times and then it finally remains open.

Once the pc has fully booted if I put a DVD or CD into the DVD-ROM drive and press the button to close it the drive closes for about one second before it then ejects. This happens whether the drive contains a disk or not. i.e. Once the pc is on the DVD-ROM drive remains open. I cannot run any programs from the dvd drive as the disk will not remain in the drive long enough for the system to read it. The CD-ROM drive on the other hand is working 100% as normal.

The dvd drive is a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD 163

I have run a full anti virus scan from Norton but it gives the pc a clean bill of health.

I have checked my pc out at PC Pitstop and it said there are errors relating to the USB Keyboard and Mouse. The USB keyboard and mouse are the same ones that I have been using for the last two years and both appear to be functioning correctly.

This is a summary of the error report that I got a Pc Pitstop. I also get similar errors if I check for errors under System Information.

Keyboard Dell Enhanced QuietKey PS2 with Dell Touch – Error 24
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint) – Error 24

Code 24 = This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 24)

I have deleted the drivers for each of the DVD-ROM, Keyboard, and Mouse on separate occasions. Each time I rebooted the pc. Windows then automatically reinstalled the drivers (does that make sense?)

The problems still remain. The DVD-ROM drive remains open whilst the pc is on. The errors are still listed for the USB keyboard and mouse.

I have spent 6 or 7 hours trying to figure out what to do so I really would appreciate any suggestions as to how to resolve this problem.

hugh-265156 19:42 11 Apr 04

you could try a new ide cable but it sounds like the cd drive is faulty if you ask me.

ignore pc pitstop,it doesnt always report the truth.

Cosmic Guerilla 15:10 12 Apr 04

Thanks for your reply huggyg71.

As I said above, each time I deleted each of the drivers I did a reboot. What I did was a warm reboot (with the pc still switched on).

However, this morning started the pc from cold and the problem is now gone.

Excellent.

Thanks again for your reply huggyg71, sorry if you feel I wasted your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…