DVD ROM DRIVE DOES NOT RECOGNISE DISCS??

rotormota 17:04 19 Dec 04

My new CD/DVD rom drive does not seem to be recognising blank CDs or DVDs. It's fine with pre-recorded or software.

It is a couple of months old & I'm sure it was OK to start with.

Toshiba/HP drive & Win XP OS.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Gongoozler 17:29 19 Dec 04

Does the drive recognise a disk that has had data written on it? It's not uncommon for a drive not to recognise some makes of disk, but if it doesn't recognise any then I think it's most likely a faulty drive. CD-R and CD-RW use a different process that is more demanding on the quality of the laser and your new drive might well have a problem there.

rotormota 17:44 19 Dec 04

The drive recognises a CD-RW with data but it just is not seeing any blank media. I have tried 3 brands of disc. I'm sure it worked when I first got it.

I notice on another forum someone with the same drive has the same prob..

It's a quality new model Toshiba SD M-1712.

Any other ideas?

Totally-braindead 17:46 19 Dec 04

When you say your drive won't recognise blanks disks what program are you using to write to it? Depending on what cd writing software you're trying to use check and see if it can see the blank disk, if not try reinstalling the software.

Gongoozler 17:47 19 Dec 04

When you say that it doesn't recognise the blank disks, is this in Windows Explorer or in your CD writing software?

Totally-braindead 17:50 19 Dec 04

Wait a minute just reread your posting, you're on about a DVD Rom not a combined CDRW/DVD Rom, if this is the case then it wouldn't read a blank cd anyway. Yes just looked it up this drive is a dvd rom it won't write to disks so of course will not recongnise a blank disk, there is no problem

rotormota 17:54 19 Dec 04

Sorry, I must be having a brainstorm. Of course the ROM drive does not see blank discs...it's a playing device!

My fault & apologies for wasting your time but thanks for your quick responses all the same.

Cheers.

Gongoozler 17:54 19 Dec 04

Totally-braindead - I fell into the same trap!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…