DVD rom drive crashing laptop

kdparsons 10:55 17 Jun 06

Hi, I am looking for some help for a friend who's laptop is acting pretty strange at the moment. It is a 3yr old Compaq and recently has had a couple of problems. The rom drive has stopped reading all media and the laptop is telling her that she has no soundcard. She has system restored back a to a time when everything was OK but it is still playing up. She returned it to PCWorld to have it looked at and they have said that ITunes was corrupting the drive!!!. We have backed up her laptop and reinstalled windows xp pro but it still is not working!!.
Any ideas or thought are more than welcome.
Thanks Karl

Giggle n' Bits 11:35 17 Jun 06

Have you installed all the serivce pack's and windows updates & system Drivers and updated the itunes software, etc. Even checked newer Graphics, Audio and chipset driver.

There are so many reasons for the above.

Please post with the Laptop Make and Model No and I will have a look into it for you but it may take me a day or two. Currently I have a Compac R3000 with a possible failed HDD.

Private email welcome.

kdparsons 19:18 18 Jun 06

Thanks Big Byte for the reply but I have resolved the problem....what she had failed to mention was the fact she had dropped it and it hadn't worked after that. I removed the rom drive and reinserted it and now it works fine. Looks like she may have dislodged it in its housing I know thats sounds stupid but it works absolutely fine now!!!

Regards,

Karl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…