DVD Rom doesnt read?

Rikku 22:33 02 Jan 04

hi i have had this dvd rom drive since i bought a copmputer i have kept it after upgrading it but after i reformatted last time it worked for about 15 mins then stopped working the drive does have power and i believe that it reads to a point the orange light blinks to say its reading and it knows there is a disk in it allows me to browze the contents of it (displays nothing) it says there is 680MB free on the cd can you help i have tried i have been able to play terminator for 3 minutes then it went and turned off hte monitor and wouldnt let me see things untill i rebooted after which it didnt work again? i dont see why it would need a firmware update because its the same version that i have used throughout the previous installs of the same OS

Drive: MAT*!@:A DVD-ROM SR8586 (Panasonic i think)

Firmware: 3Z24

Rikku 22:40 02 Jan 04

MAT sh it a - all together no space it blocked it before

Rikku 09:21 03 Jan 04

if i have the disk in while booting up i can view and read the contents but if i put a disk in when windows has been loaded then i can see a blank cd ... perhaps a driver problem?

Stuartli 12:41 03 Jan 04

A DVD-ROM drive only needs the basic Windows driver.

Try removing the drive from Device Manager, rebooting and allow Windows to Find New Hardware.

A firmware upgrade is very rarely necessary and, if you make a mistake, the drive will almost certainly be destined for the rubbish bin.

Another possibility is that the laser is on its way out, but it should then still play CDs as there is a separate CD laser. This also explains why the orange light remains working.

Rikku 16:49 03 Jan 04

well i can see dvd's now but still no cd's so looks like im gonner have to buy the dvd rw after all...

Stuartli 18:02 03 Jan 04

I was presuming it was DVDs you couldn't see - in that case the reverse applies re the lasers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…