DVD rom-area code-5 changes ?

dagbladet 11:48 15 Sep 03

By way of using my PC's DVD player for the first time I got the free corrie dvd from Asda. Anyway when I put it in I was offered a choice of area,(I chose Western Europe) and informed that I had 5 changes remaining. Whats that all about please. XP, Power DVD pre loaded.

Jester2K II 11:50 15 Sep 03

Drives are usually locked to one region. In the UK we are region 2. The USA is Region 1. Most dvds come Region Encoded meaning you can only use a R2 DVD in an R2 DVD PLayer.

Your DVD Player gives you the choice to change Region upto 5 times. The last time you change it its stuck on that region code and can't be changed.

dagbladet 12:07 15 Sep 03

Hi jester, is this a feature of XP, or Power DVD, or the DVD Rom drive. Also if I do a restore to say, Day 1, do I get another 5 goes ?

Jester2K II 12:31 15 Sep 03

Usually its the hardware - DVD Rom drive - and no you can't usually undo the changes.

However someone here might tell you a way to block the action or undo it. Sadly i don't know how...

Chegs ® 12:32 15 Sep 03

The DVD player will be locked via its internal software,although I have seen unlocking kits around the web.I tried updating the firmware on my DVD RW,but I just get an error message stating it cannot find any upgradable hardware.

dagbladet 12:32 15 Sep 03

ta

SheffieldSpy 12:34 15 Sep 03

I think its the DVD ROM drive, but I think the software has a part to play. Especially if you do not have a DVD decoder card.

Theoretically you shouldn't be able to change DVD regions more than 5 times. If the region data is set on the DVD rom drive a system restore wouldn't make a difference. Additionally System restore is more for system files for example Autoexec.nt.

SEASHANTY 15:55 15 Sep 03

This site will give you drive info and changes remaining on any CD or DVD drive click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…