DVD Rewriter - not reading DVD's

kwil2 01:28 04 May 06

Hi..I'm running an MSI-DR8A dual format Rewriter in XP Home (SP2) which has just started acting up after giving zero problems. I use Roxio's Easy CD Creator for burning.
When I insert DVD film etc, PowerDVD software is normally engaged automatically.
However, this has stopped happening - the drive'sgreen light comes on for a while (presumably reading the disc), then goes out.
I've tried cleaning the laser but this doesn't help.
The drive plays CD-R's and CD-RW's and records to these formats...so CD music is clearly being picked up.
My system is kept very clean and after running a number of precautionary checks for adware/malware etc, nothing seems amiss...
I've also tried disabling the drive through Device Manager, then re-enabling...but no luck.
Is the drive's laser at fault? I've checked for firmware from MSI and have downloaded a zip file...but I'm a bit reluctant to 'flash' an update...The instructions for doing so from MSI leave me scratching my head...
I'd appreciate any help
Many thanks

Giggle n' Bits 01:33 04 May 06

settings. If you have a TFT then the Adapter rate should be 60Hz if CRT then say about 72 or 75hz.

Also I would uninstall your graphics driver then reinstall with newer. Its doesn't sound like the acutall drive at fault something in the drivers or settings of software. Post back with some spec about your machine if the above doesn't help.

FatboySlim71 10:01 04 May 06

You could try this but I dont know if it will help, it should if any problems are found, repair the auto play option when a disc is inserted. Just download it and give it a go and see what happens.

click here

FatboySlim71 10:06 04 May 06

Regarding flashing your drive, if your not sure how to do it, then don't do it, you can easily make the drive unusable by incorrect flashing !

gudgulf 10:28 04 May 06

Insert a DVD into the drive and then open "My Computer".

Do you get the same problem with data DVDs,"self recorded" DVDs and shop bought films?

Look at the DVD drive and see if it is displaying the contents of the DVD.....can you open/explore the DVD and see the files it contains?

If not the drive is probably faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…